The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
tommyd241

How to: Install the PAC AAI-GM9 aux input interface into an OBS

Here is how I installed the PAC AAI-GM9 in my '98 Silverado. This auxiliary audio input will work in many 1995-2002 GM vehicles with factory radios that have a working slave unit such as factory CD changer, separate factory cassette player, or separate single CD player. A CD or cassette must be inserted in the slave unit and playing in order to use the auxiliary input. I got it on eBay for $35 shipped.

More details can be found here:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=24

I chose to go with this adapter for a few reasons:

1. Maintain the stock appearance of the factory radio.
2. Direct audio input to factory radio for maximum sound quality
3. Comes with a three position switch which allows you to switch between 2 auxiliary inputs and the factory slave unit.
4. Completely plug & play.

Installation:

The most difficult part of the installation is removing the dash panel. It can be a little tricky. Just be patient and take your time. You don’t want to break anything.

First, turn off the passenger airbag if you haven’t done so already. Then, tilt the steering wheel and shifter all the way down and engage the emergency brake.

Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal. You don’t want to blow any fuses, shock yourself, or set off the airbags while you are working behind the dash panel!

Ok, now we need to remove the dash panel. Carefully pull on the upper left corner of the dash panel until the clips are released.

Now, remove the headlight switch box from the lower left corner of the dash panel. I found that if you release the tab behind the dash panel you can push the switch box from the front until it separates from the dash panel. Here you can see the headlight switch box separated from the dash panel.

Next, pull the upper right corner and the bottom of the dash panel until the clips are released. Just take your time and gently do a different section at a time until the entire dash panel is free. Don’t try and completely pull off the dash panel yet. We still have some connectors to unplug!

Look down into the opening between the dash panel and the dash. You will see an orange tab connected to the yellow passenger airbag connector. This is a locking pin that must be removed before the connector can be unplugged. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

Remove any other electrical connectors. Here you see the cargo lamp and passenger airbag switches completely removed.

Now you can remove the dash panel and set it out of the way.

To remove the radio push down on the arms on each side of the radio and pull it out. Here is what it will look like once the dash panel is removed.

Remove the factory 9 pin connector from radio and insert the AAI-GM9 male plug in its place. Then, plug the factory 9 pin connector into the AAI-GM9 female connector. You can see where I removed the 9 pin connector from the radio in the picture below.

Plug the RCA cables from first audio source into the Aux1 input of the AAI-GM9. If there is a second audio source, plug the RCA’s into the Aux2 input on the other side. As you can see below, I chose to use a RCA to mini-jack (white cable) so I can connect it to my iPhone through the headphone jack. You can also see the toggle switch (black wire) that you use to switch between Aux1/CD/Aux2.

Finally, mount the toggle switch and aux input cable in a suitable location. I just ran them both to the glove box mostly because I’m lazy, but also to deter any unwanted attention. I take the aux cable completely out and close the glove box door when I’m using it.

Overall I am very pleased with the PAC AAI-GM9. The sound quality is very good and I still have the option to add another source like satellite radio or possibly even bluetooth to the 2nd aux input.

In the future I may swap the cable out for one that will actually charge my iPhone, but I just couldn't wait so I used that RCA to mini-jack that I had laying around.

If I make any changes I will update this thread and try and get some better pictures.