The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
trooper1

Needing '70 C10 frame up build advice

I am a new member to 67-72 Chevy trucks. I’m a country bumpkin from KCMO and planning to do a frame-up build as a cruiser, not show quality by any means. I’m also new to automotive building. I've never worked on engines, tranny's, brake systems, etc. I have a 1970 C10 Cab, front clip and frame all unattached. I’m here to learn from you wise builders so I can make my build easier and more enjoyable. I’m ultimately wanting a basic truck that is just drivable and don’t have to constantly maintain. If anyone could invest some time with some advice to help me get heading in the right direction id appreciate it. Build plans, etc. Thanks in advance. I’ll get some pics up and a thread started asap.
trooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
spatz

Re: Needing '70 C10 frame up build advice

First of all welcome to the site and good luck with your first build. Can't give any build details. The build is up to you and what you think the truck should look like, stock or lowered. look at some of the builds on the site and see what you like and incorperate it into your build.
spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
trooper1

Thanks for the advice spatz! I just found out that the frame I was going to use got accidentally scrapped, so I am on the lookout for a frame now. Since Shortbed frames are far and few between here in Missouri, I need to come up with something in my price range. I've read where some people have trucks with different year frames under them, like 99 Camaro how is that possible? I would think the holes and body will not match and have to make brackets and such. Any advice on what different frames I can use that will work for my truck?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
harley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1 View Post
Thanks for the advice spatz! I just found out that the frame I was going to use got accidentally scrapped, so I am on the lookout for a frame now. Since Shortbed frames are far and few between here in Missouri, I need to come up with something in my price range. I've read where some people have trucks with different year frames under them, like 99 Camaro how is that possible? I would think the holes and body will not match and have to make brackets and such. Any advice on what different frames I can use that will work for my truck?
camaro's are unibody cars and dont have a frame .they may have used the sub frame .for a first build find the corect parts it will make every thing easier.
harley rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
ZenC10

i would look for a long bed modle and shorten them frame. im sure there is a thread on here that will show you the process. and you'll need a decent welder for the heavy guage steel. know that the short bed itself can be harder to find then the frame at times. but if you have your heart set on it, you can shorten the long bed. i know i have seen a thread on here for that also. if your not comfortable with doin this your self and dont know anyone to help you with the mods, i would research and wait for a shorty to pop up. you might be suprised how happy you could be with a long bed. they are still sharpe lookin trucks. just depends on how much time and money your willing to spend.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
CC69Rat

Welcome to the forum! Post up some pics.. let's see what 'were' working with

Pichers, Pitchers .. We need Pichers!

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
hugger6933

Welcome, the first thing is to get you a frame ,get it cleaned and prepped then painted or coated then get the drivtrain in it so you can start putting on the body. There are lots of people here willing to help so just ask away. Also welcome to you from the eastern parts of Arkansas. I have a body shop and have givin advise here from time to time to those who ask for help. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
hugger6933

I said get a frame first, well I am wrong first off get some paper and a pen and try to map out the plan of the project. If you write down ideas you have about the strie color or the color of the radiator support it may sound silly but if you are stuck you can look at you paper and get some feeling back to what you need. Not only use it as a guide sheet to lay out the outline of the build but also ideas about the build, different modding ideas and so forth it will help you. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Red Tractors

This might not be what you want to hear, but....

You might want to find a driveable complete truck and spend some time driving, tinkering and just enjoying it. The lessons learned will pay dividends when you start building your project.

I don't know what the big deal is on shortbeds. I'll stick with LWB's myself thanks, shorties just look odd to me.

'72 C-10 LWB step side "Old Red"

'71 C-10 Cheyenne "Blue"
Red Tractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Zable49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tractors View Post
I don't know what the big deal is on shortbeds. I'll stick with LWB's myself thanks, shorties just look odd to me.
Diddo!!!
Zable49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1 View Post
I’m ultimately wanting a basic truck that is just drivable and don’t have to constantly maintain. asap.
not to burst yer' bubble, but i'd put this project on the back burner and get your self something to drive. during that time work on this as a toy/project.\

but there are are too many variables against you on this build.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
trooper1

Thanks for all the info, my experience is pretty basic. I like to learn as I go and am a teach myself type of guy. I hoped to take my time and put it together over a few years. I have a daily driver that I use for work; the plan for my ’70 Chevy project truck was to work on it for a few hrs here and there after work and/or on weekends with my kids. I have a short step side bed already which is why I am set on a short frame. I like the mildly lowed long bed look for sure, but the short step bed was given to me from a close friend after I got back from a tour in Iraq. Thanks for the advice on just getting something that runs to tinker on and ENJOY. It looks like that may be my route. However, I have an add on craigslist for WTB 67-72 short frame. We’ll see what pops up. Thanks again.