The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
BamaDave

Timing question

I bought 350 a long time ago when I was a kid for my truck. I was a mild build with a more than stock cam. I don't know the time for this cam. How would I make sure timing is right. I am rebuilding my Holley and trying to fix any vaccum leaks I can find.
I bought a compression testor but really don't know how to go about checking the comp. Just pull plug boots, put testor in each cylinder, turn it over?
Doing all of this because this thing is running REALLY rich and I can't lean it out without the truck dying.
BamaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
xrcr

Re: Timing question

Unhook your hot wire so it won't start and then like you thought 1 cylinder at a time on your comprssion. Every holley I've had on a 350 has always run a little rich. I have never messed with the jets,just figured it's not fouling plugs so rich is better than lean.I started at 12degrees BTDC and tweaked from there. I'm sure that on here there is some holley guru that will help us both out.
xrcr
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
BamaDave

I always thought rich was bad for bearings.
BamaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
king-918

Lean is bad 14.7/1 is so-called perfect as long as your in 12-14 range depending on what your doing your fine. I am going to run a wide band to tune and keep soo I can feel hitec they are relatively cheap or borrow one
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
bowtiemanchevyman

if you are going to rebuild the holley go get a book on how to tune one if you dont know how to. i have had one on my truck and it did not run rich you just need to know how to tune on. once you get it right it will run great. just keep your hands off it. most people have problems cause they play with then cause they dont know what they are doing. And once you fix all the vac. leaks your truck will run alot better. first fix all the leaks the rebuild the card.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
PugDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Doing all of this because this thing is running REALLY rich and I can't lean it out without the truck dying.
Have you tried increasing the idle stop adjustment up a little as you are turning down the idle mix screws?

Also, I'm a fan of using a vacuum gauge and tach when I'm making these adjustments.

There are lots of write ups if you google "carb adjustment with vacuum gauge".
PugDad is offline   Reply With Quote