The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
MonteSS454
Account Suspended

Bolt on EFI :D

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...ii-system.html

Pricey but it seems so simple to slap it on and go.
MonteSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
72-c20
Packrat

Re: Bolt on EFI :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS454 View Post
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...ii-system.html

Pricey but it seems so simple to slap it on and go.
interesting.... might have to look into this sometime....
72-c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
69halfton

for me, i wouldn't bother making all that work to swap to a throttle body injection system, id rather spend the time tuning my carb up to run real nice.

Im still waiting for a "bolt-on" injection system with individual injectors like in newer model cars and trucks.

the roblem i find with throttle body, is its just as hard to tune as a carb in terms of evenness between all the cylenders. each injector you can be even more picky with it, the only problem witht that system is the software you need to know to tune them is outragous.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

69halfton- various aftermarket companies make LT and TPI style EFI intakes. Can't do a multiport fuel injection in a bolt on setup to the carb intakes. That's similar to GM's CPFI and it was crap too.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
diggertodd
diggertodd

Re: Bolt on EFI :(

I run a complete F.AS.T. EFI system on my 555 dragster with awesome results, performance and can pretty much print my own time slips over and over. About this time last year we tried one of the exact same units that is sold through Professional Products. here.

Sorry guys and gals, I am a patient person who writes tech articles for magazines and long story short, we worked on it for 4 days (as said above, I know closed and open loop EFI) And their tech was just reading word by word from their troubleshooting page in their manual.

The tech help ended with "let us know when you figure it out".... We gave up and scrubbed the article. As the sayings go... universal parts never fit anything... no performance part ever produces the horsepower that the box says... and easy bolt-on products (this one) never easily work.
diggertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Skirkpat

Re: Bolt on EFI :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggertodd View Post
I run a complete F.AS.T. EFI system on my 555 dragster with awesome results, performance and can pretty much print my own time slips over and over. About this time last year we tried one of the exact same units that is sold through Professional Products. here.

Sorry guys and gals, I am a patient person who writes tech articles for magazines and long story short, we worked on it for 4 days (as said above, I know closed and open loop EFI) And their tech was just reading word by word from their troubleshooting page in their manual.

The tech help ended with "let us know when you figure it out".... We gave up and scrubbed the article. As the sayings go... universal parts never fit anything... no performance part ever produces the horsepower that the box says... and easy bolt-on products (this one) never easily work.
Are you sure it was the same? This is the new model tha twon'be available to anyone until this spring? I personaly do not know much about it , but a local turbo shop has access to some of the first available frrom my understanding, to use for R&D...I realize that most of these small co's have very limited tech and service personel, but maybe they got some of the bugs worked out? I will keep an eye on it though?
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
diggertodd
diggertodd

Re: Bolt on EFI :(((((

No doubt, Retrotek private labels them for Professional Products, the tech phone# goes direct to Retrotek. When we made that magzine deal at SEMA in late 07, it was with a Retrotek rep. THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT HAVEN'T WORKED OUT THE PRODUCT. I just want to hear from anybody who has had total success. If the EFI controller is supposed to "learn" what your engine wants from the O2 sensor, this one refused to "learn" despite multiple 02 sensors and no opportunity to get a good unit from the MFR.

- digger
diggertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Skirkpat

Re: Bolt on EFI :(((((

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggertodd View Post
No doubt, Retrotek private labels them for Professional Products, the tech phone# goes direct to Retrotek. When we made that magzine deal at SEMA in late 07, it was with a Retrotek rep. THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT HAVEN'T WORKED OUT THE PRODUCT. I just want to hear from anybody who has had total success. If the EFI controller is supposed to "learn" what your engine wants from the O2 sensor, this one refused to "learn" despite multiple 02 sensors and no opportunity to get a good unit from the MFR.

- digger
I agree with you, the proofs in the pudding, and as stated you have much better knowledge than me if what you had was the third series? Neither my freind or I have seen one in person . He runs a pretty nice turbo/performance shop and was approached to do a little R&D work in return for a discounted price for a local customer (maybe they are trying to figure out the bugs now?)
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote