The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
ilovesilver97

1972 door locks and ignition switch.

Can anyone recommend a new set of door locks and ignition switch for my 1972 Cheyenne Super?

I would like Nos or oem. Or is a new set better?

I would like same key.

My ignition switch sticks sometime and the doors don't lock too good right now.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
kcsa75

Re: 1972 door locks and ignition switch.

Check with LockDoc. Leon is a locksmith and knows what he's talking about. A while back he was selling lock sets like you're looking for. He can certainly point you in the right direction.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
ilovesilver97

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Check with LockDoc. Leon is a locksmith and knows what he's talking about. A while back he was selling lock sets like you're looking for. He can certainly point you in the right direction.
Thanks I will look him up.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
cleszkie

My experience:

1)Replace ignition switch with a used OEM Delco unit. The Chinese repops are not as good. You can simply remove the key tumbler from your current switch and install it into the replacement switch to keep the same key.

2) Remove, clean and lubricate your door locks. That will most likely bring them back to life. Also check to make sure your linkage isn't binding. That way, you can keep using your current key for the doors as well. BTW, only lubricate the locks with graphite powder. Liquid lubes will attract dust and dirt and cause the locks to gum up.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
ilovesilver97

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
My experience:

1)Replace ignition switch with a used OEM Delco unit. The Chinese repops are not as good. You can simply remove the key tumbler from your current switch and install it into the replacement switch to keep the same key.

2) Remove, clean and lubricate your door locks. That will most likely bring them back to life. Also check to make sure your linkage isn't binding. That way, you can keep using your current key for the doors as well. BTW, only lubricate the locks with graphite powder. Liquid lubes will attract dust and dirt and cause the locks to gum up.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesilver97 View Post
Can anyone recommend a new set of door locks and ignition switch for my 1972 Cheyenne Super?

I would like Nos or oem. Or is a new set better?

I would like same key.

My ignition switch sticks sometime and the doors don't lock too good right now.
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
My experience:

You are certainly right about the ignition switches as long as the used one has been tested.

I respectfully disagree about the graphite though. The main problem with graphite is that it attracts moisture, and after a few uses it builds up and becomes a sticky paste. I have disassembled a LOT of door and ignition lock cylinders and the ones that had graphite used in them were in much worse shape than any of them that were lubed with a spray lube. I know part of the problem is that people get really carried away with it though. It's the old adage that if a little is good a lot must be better.... If a spray lube with Teflon is used there is no oil to attract dust and dirt. Any lock will have a buildup of contaminants if they are not flushed once in a while with a good penetrating oil. I never recommend Graphite for any lock cylinder.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote