The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
american revolution

Fiberglass top window install

Never done this before...any videos or step by step instructions on how to install back the side windows to my fiberglass top
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
tobiahr

Re: Fiberglass top window install

it follows along the same lines as replacing the back glass in the same year model pickups. I've done both but cannot find instructions specific to the side glass right now
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
MetroDPS

I did a swap on my 1987 Blazer and here are some pics
Before

After

I had fixed glass and removed it put in factory deep tinted using same seals no problems.

The seals are two part the rubber and a rubber insert locking rubber.

Here is how I did my window change it was easy to do. You will need two flat head screw drivers and spray bottle of soapy water. A very small flat head to reinstall lock rubber. *if you have a window install tool works best about $5.00 for it. Looks like a pick with a pigs tail end.

1.) looking at window from outside you will see a little metal clip in the middle of rubber at the bottom. Take a small screw driver and pop that out.

2.) You will now see a small gap between the inner rubber strip. Take one end of it and pull it out in a lifting manor (away from truck).

3.) Now you will need two flat head screw drivers. Start a few inches from the lower rear corner and insert one screw driver in under the lip of the metal frame. Next spray some soapy liquid on rubber and insert other screw driver and work it around to lift the frame/glass out of rubber. *works best going to top.

4.) Once you get the rear upper corner out it is a breeze. Keep going till you have most of the top out of rubber. At this point you can pull the frame/glass out.

5.) I took the seals out and cleaned them in warm water to get crude and old black goop off. I used a butter knife to get it clean (DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE SEE YOU DO THIS).

6.) After they were dry I put a thin bead of black RTV on the fiberglass lip and placed rubber onto it.

7.) I then placed the lip of the frame/glass in to the front corner of rubber and started to wards the rear. Using the screw driver to pop the outer lip out at the rear and worked on up and over to toward the front. *you will need the soapy liquid from time to time.

8.) Once you have it in you will take the thin rubber piece that you pulled in step 2. Start in the middle bottom and insert it into the gap in the rubber *I used a small flat head to push the upper edge down into channel. The best way to describe this motion is kind of like a wrist flick or reverse knock.

9.) Now if you did every thing right you should have a little extra locking rubber when you get to bottom *(stretches when you pull it). Cut this as close to the other end as you can (about 1/4 inch).

10.) Now you will replace the metal clip pull both ends out just so you can slide them into the clip. Now press it into the grove.

Hope that helps you out.
MetroDPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
american revolution

Thanks for the install instructions...was able to figure it out....love this site!!! everyone so helpful.

I went the opposite way...had sliders that the inside rubber all dried out and leaking....changed out to solid glass.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
american revolution

before with the sliders and after solid window...the sliders were ok but rubber all dried out and leaked
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
tobiahr

Looks good. Did you buy new glass for the swap?
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
american revolution

Glass was Craigslist find....free
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
kevinr1970

Did you just buy, or were you just selling?

I like the idea of the sliders, but since I never ride in the back I am losing the appreciation for them; it is a pain to keep all the crevices clean with the slider windows!
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
american revolution

The blazer I have for Sale.... No takers so I'll keep for now .