The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
krazy_texan

wiring harnesses?

what are you guys doing for wiring harnesses as far as upgrading wiring harnesses go. I am wondering if the harness from a 73-87 with the blade type fuses with a little bit of modifcation to make it work in the 65. Plus i want to do a few mods to it like the relays for the headlights and dome lights that come on when the doors open and such.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: wiring harnesses?

Most here have used American Autowire, Rebel Wire, Painless, EZ wire harness or M&H.

I like the AAW one, comes with some switches and is labeled every 5 inches.

You can piece a headlight harness together cheap for the relays, but LMC sells one premade ( I have this) and it works fantastic.

Good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
krazy_texan

i just thought of this cause i already have the harness it came out of i think a 76 but im not sure i have had it a long time and dont remember where i got it but figured if its out already might as well use it and save myself the money i am all about saving a buck.
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
jimmydean

Saving a buck is nice, but Rebel Wire and a few others are not very expensive and will save a lot of work later. The American Autowire kit is well worth it, but it is 3x more than others.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
PGSigns

You should still give American Auto wire a look. The work it will take to adapt the 76 harness to your truck and remove all the things that are not needed is going to take a while then you will still have a harness full of splices and things that may haunt you later. I am a firm believer that the wiring is not a good place to cut corners.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
MOTOIMPAIRED

This is the one I bought and putting in my truck right now. So far pretty happy with it...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Econom...ness,2352.html
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
kevinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOIMPAIRED View Post
This is the one I bought and putting in my truck right now. So far pretty happy with it...

Wow, that does look easy. The directions look excellent. I was looking at their 20 circuit kit for $150. Looks like it comes with several of the basic connectors already. The fuse panel is larger, but the hazard and turn signal flashers are built in. It also comes with a head light switch, hi/low switch.

How do you think it compares to the EZ-wiring 21 circuit kit for $180? Ez doesn't have a .pdf of their instruction manual.

Kevin C

Last edited by kevinc; 02-11-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added another thought...
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
MOTOIMPAIRED

This is the first time I am wiring a complete vehicle but so far everything is pretty basic. All the wires are labeled so its pretty self explainitory.

I have never seen any of the other brands but this is complete and for the low price, I figured I would give it a try..

I'll keep ya posted.......
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOIMPAIRED View Post

thats a bingo !! I have used that kit my last 3 trucks its perfect and cheap!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
krazy_texan

so just so i got this right the speedway kit is the entire vehicle from front to back? I was looking at it and looks pretty simple to install and i am kinda leaning torwards ordering it.
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

My one thing about mismatching parts is a Frankenstein.And if you want to do that Why did you ever want a Chevy.A internal harvester would of stumped you ever corner you turned.

One thing about these old trucks they have enough problems with the people behind the parts counter understanding if these trucks where ever built.But when you go a head a change the harness that dose not fit the truck.

If your plan on using a New motor trans rear end and front end from a 2005 truck Put something inside the truck that will remind you or the next owner what there working with.

I've have junked more abortion projects then i care to count.

If your looking for newer options Most of the Wire company's will build a wire harness to your needs.But it not cheap.In the 1973-87 trucks the harness could be shorter going across the dash so be careful
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx

I bought mine from Ron Francis 20 curcuit...just need to get off my ass and put it in....looks simple and very straight forward....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
losthope

Ive wired 3 classic cars with this one and going to do my truck also its the "PRO-T" harness from "HAYWIRE" it is basically the same thing as the speedway kit posted above but has "GM" connectors ,like the floor dimmer switch,ect....and i like the fuse block better........$130

http://haywireinc.com/catalog/produc...3hvro8trpj9ds4

"This kit is designed fo the T-Buckets, antiques or any vehicle without any accessories. Harness is complete with, GM color coded and fully labeled wire, High Temp GXL moisture and checmical resistant wire, Free GM connectors for headlight switch, headlights, ignition switch, and dimmer switch. Large selection of heatshrink, butt, ring and spade terminals. Easy to follow instructions, Fuse panel wire with 8ft. long leads for possible placement under or behind the seat. Size 4.25x3wx3h"

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 02-16-2012 at 02:34 AM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Auto wire is what I bought. I looked at others but to me it is "not" about the price. Nothing but extreme quality with there kit. Customer service is great if you have a question, the amount of items they include is very nice, upgrades and expansion is also there.

That kit looks a bit general to me.. Heres a pic of the fuse block with plate that came in my kit. Thus far it has created Zero issues on the install. I have my new DD VHX dash coming and that is also a plug a nd play with the AAW harness. Great copper wire as well.
Attached Images

GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Chad215

Great thread- great links. Thanks for all the stories about these different kits.
I'm going to be doing this soon as well, and really didn't have a good feeling about dropping $500 on a harness. Glad to see other people are getting good results with these less expensive ones.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I would see if you can find some one that has done both a high end harness and a econo harness. I have customers all the time tell me how something works so great, but until you have compared it to a better item.. How do you really know?? I feel you get what you pay for, a harness is not a easy thing to have to work around. It may be a great unit or really does not even come close to a higer end item.. DO not know.

I do know that with 4 + years into my truck myself am not willing to take any short cuts, been there done that. Doing things over is not good.

I lost 8 grand on a engine due to a clutch that was over throwing and it wiped out the thrust bearing, pushed the crank forward, took out the rods, cam bores etc. All due to a simple set up error. ( I did not do it but the end result is the same) Truck drove fine it never had any issues with the clutch . Found it later when I went to put the engine back in... I got to start over. BTW it was only over throwing the clutch aprox .100 seems so little until there is no where for it to go. other than wear out a thrust bearing. Then it just got ugly..

Thats my story HA HA // Take care and let us know what you buy and how it works outs.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
thats a bingo !! I have used that kit my last 3 trucks its perfect and cheap!!
SOLD! can't beat that for a testament.

I am looking to run the 20 in mine, but I have a TON of hardware to support, too.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

my only question is exposed wires the rubber outer core is good but i would rather hyave it covered with tape or the wire loom plastic
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
tincan1966

I have been wiring cars for close to 15 years and have used American Autowire, Ron Francis, and Painless. All are very good quality and perform well. E-Z wiring has a great kit,too I am told, but have not personally used one. I use the Painless kits in my own vehicles, because i like the added length in the universal harness kits. My current Suburban has a Painless 18 circuit chassis harness, the TBI fuel injection harness and their new Phantom key harness.

The electricalseems to be a common item in these old trucks that gets the least attention over the years,and alot of the problems too. Personally I'd never hack in another old harness out of another truck.

You will find that about all the options have been used here, by one member or another. There's good info in these forums.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote