The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
sigshooter

seat frame question

I have been reading through several threads and my question is ........

The Custom Cab seat with the custom comfort option, is the seat frame different from the regular seat? the custom comfort seat states it has nearly a 6 inch foam cushion where the standard seat is covered with burlap and cotton.

I am preparing to send a seat out for covering and was wondering if I need to locate the custom comfort seat if the frame work is different if the padding is a different thickness
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: seat frame question

This is a Custom Comfort Seat. Notice how the majority of the seat springs are level with the rail but the two edge seat springs are much higher. If you check your seat and all the springs are mounted higher then that might be the difference between the seats. The foam has recesses to accommodate the outer edge springs.

Cut it down to bucket seat.

Last edited by aerotruk63; 11-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
sigshooter

Ok, I have about 5 old seats I will check mine and see what the springs look like.

Thanks
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Nice work on the bucket Aero,Are they Buddy Bucket width or ?(just when I was wondering what the heck I'm gonna do with all these bench seats I have...great idea).
One thing I noticed compared to my bench seat is that the springs (inners) seem to be left and right specific on mine,with the two middle springs being a mirror image of each other.
Pretty sure mine is a standard seat.
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

I used the width of the Suburban folding passenger seat width from my 63 Data Book. Then I cut right beside the two floor mount brackets where they attach to the bottom seat frame. Took the measurement between the two brackets and transferred the dimension to the seat back. Welded the halves together. I'm prowling for a Bostrom Viking T-Bar seat for the drivers side and would install this bucket on the passenger side. If I do not find a T-Bar, I'll make another bucket with another bench I have.

From what I've read, Bostrom supplied GM with the Buddy Bucket seats.

Bostrom Viking T-Bar seat. According to the Data Book the T-Bar was available in C10 and larger trucks. Found one in Ontario in a truck. It has a simple angle iron attaching them to the original floor mounting holes.

Last edited by aerotruk63; 11-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigshooter View Post
I have been reading through several threads and my question is ........

The Custom Cab seat with the custom comfort option, is the seat frame different from the regular seat? the custom comfort seat states it has nearly a 6 inch foam cushion where the standard seat is covered with burlap and cotton.

I am preparing to send a seat out for covering and was wondering if I need to locate the custom comfort seat if the frame work is different if the padding is a different thickness

Just a quick note, if you use a seat like the one shown I did some interesting things to my seat and found a source of new parts for these old seats. Replacement springs are available from American Upholstery Tulsa, Oklahoma 918-834-6691 call them, then send in one of your springs that needs to be replaced, If they do not have the exact replacement one can use part of the old spring and attach it to the new spring with a clip then it is just like new. I also transferred the springs from the middle of the seat to the drivers side (where they were weak) since no one sits in the middle it made the seat work a lot better. We also used some dense foam and cut some custom wedges which we used as extra springs in the front of the seat and on the outside edges. Kieth

Here is a link to the seat as it looked before rebuilding:
Click on the thumbnails to see additional pictures:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...89652330_ifC6F

Here are other pictures after we installed the seatolators (new wire assemble to replace the wire in the burlap) and the additional bolsters around the perimeter of the seat:

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...40205255_7tv2t
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote