The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
koda360

Bendix or Delco Moraine

Hey all, been lurking the board for some time now, just joined. First I'll start w/ what I have...
60 C-10 I've been working on for last few years. Just finished the floors and painted the better part of the interior. Guy I got the truck from had kit bashed this 60 w/ a 72. Not real sure what all he swapped out, but in a nut shell, torsion bars have been replaced w/ 72s coils. Also, drive train from 72 including a 350 and TH400, not sure about the 12 bolt rear.

When I got the truck, he had a plastic master cylinder and vac booster from a aerostar... I think? Being that I'm trying to keep this build, early 60s (63ish) shop truck turned hot rod, the plastic M/C had to go.... plus I don't really know where its from.

My plan is to us a parts store booster and m/c just for price and simplicity of later replacement. And keep the disk/drum set up from the 72. Namely this http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...972&vi=1410073

My question is, other than the visual differences, whats the mechanical diff between the bendix style and the delco style? Is one better than the other? One used for something the other one ain't like 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton, ect. I will be buying the booster and M/C at same time as I have neither.
I've searched the board, answered lots of other q's, I just cant seem to answer this one.

I chose the 72 for the booster just to try to keep the brakes the same year. I have no idea what the truck rolled outta Norwood with. I won't be hittin any road coarses, just wanna make the truck have "working" power brakes...

Firewall mods aren't an issue, cut here, weld there, make bracket, ect. Any help would be great..... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by koda360; 11-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.
koda360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
koda360

Re: Bendix or Delco Moraine

BTW, the aerostar booster he had on it was bolted straight to fire wall, no brackets. Will the 72 booster bolt directly to the fire wall, or does it have to have brackets. The rod i have is from the aerostar, but i'll figure that out as i go, just trying to find a starting point. Also have a new Wilwood adjustable prop valve, so covered there.
I know the 72 parts aren't sticking to the 63 era i'm shooting for, but they have the old school look, and I'll be OK with it......... for a while.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I don't know of any advantage of one over the other, unless one is a dual diaphram versus a single diaphram.

Those booster/masters in the O'Reilly's link do not show the factory brackets that are used in the '67-'72 installation. You could bolt the booster directly to the firewall, but you would have to drill the holes, and hope they don't end up in an inconvenient place. Even with the '67-'72 booster brackets, you will have to drill a couple holes. The only direct fit that I know of besides an original '63-'66 booster, is the bracket that I sell.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
koda360

Thank you sir for the reply. I have been eyeballing your parts for some time now, esp the one with the clutch m/c standoff, as I plan to swap out my TH400 for a T-5 (someday), and I like how your plate would reinforce the fire wall against flexing in that area.
At this point, I'm trying to gather parts, as all work is done in driveway (no garage). They've already drilled a couple extra holes when they mounted the booster from the mini van, which I will fill, after I'm certain which holes are not needed ect.
I see nothing with the O'Reily parts that distinguish single or dual diaphram. In my continuing quest to answer this, all I have found is the Delco unit is used on disc/drum (what I'm doing) and the Bendix is for drum/drum. I don't know how true this is? Thanx again!