The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
PrimoOptimoso

New here - addicted to these trucks

Hi guys.

I'm new. I don't have a '60s GM pickup at the moment, but I think they're mighty fine.

I actually started looking at them on a whim one day while I was trying to find a Jeep, and finding jeeps harder and harder to find optioned the way I want, and think these C10s are very reasonably priced (clean and decent for 10k; I don't need a show car). Plus, it doesn't hurt that the 60s is probably my favorite styling era. (Full disclaimer, I did have a chevy SSR for a little bit and thought that was cool, but the 60s style is even cooler than the 50s style the SSR was modeled on.)

Anyways, so I am looking right now. Got snaked out of a gorgeous black 66 on Friday (seriously, who sells a car in the middle of negotiations with someone else? just a little courtesy, man.) Maybe you guys can help me know what to look out for.

Like I said, I want a good truck, not necessary to be a show truck. If all is well I *want* to daily it (I have a 15 mile commute and don't plan to roadtrip it). I'm looking for a short stepside, mayyyybe a short fleetside if that's all I can find. If it ain't black with a wood bed kit, it will probably be eventually.

My first newbie question is this: how crucial is it to get one with, or convert one to, PS/PB? I know it'd be nice, but is it a brute without them?

Cheers

Last edited by PrimoOptimoso; 07-14-2014 at 04:36 PM.
PrimoOptimoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: New here - addicted to these trucks

Welcome from a NC member. Start with going through the FAQ's....it'll give you all the info you want or need on getting and finding a decent 60-66. Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559678

Power steering and power brakes were factory optioned and are out there, but only in maybe 25% of the trucks. You will find more that have newer conversions and they are available for most jobs. The usual rust areas are hoods, front/rear fenders, the whole lower car and the roofs. Check the inner fenders where the hood bolts and also where they bolt to the radiator support. Take a magnet and if in doubt plenty of pics and post them here. I'd look in the surrounding 2-3 states for a nice truck. I see them on craigslist quite frequently, check ebay and of coarse your local papers. There are plenty of trucks out there.

Try and get as rust free a body as you can...even if you spend a little more, it will save you a lot of time and money down the road. And be sure to ask any questions that pop up. Someone here will have an answer or at least a link to send you to.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
PrimoOptimoso

Thanks '63! I did read some of the FAQs while waiting for my account to be approved...

I'm looking at a 66 on evilBay right now that looks good to me but with all original drums and manual steering I thought I'd ask that question first off!

BTW anybody who is selling one here, please drop me a line. I'm looking for mostly a 64-66, step, short box, auto trans, in overall 'pretty nice' to 'very nice' condition. I have my color preferences, but beggars can't be choosers - I can change paint easier than I can change the build.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
1963c-10

Check the classified here also. Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...cat.php?cat=11
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
66Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoOptimoso View Post
I have my color preferences, but beggars can't be choosers - I can change paint easier than I can change the build.
It's actually very easy to swap parts around, and it's not real expensive to.

PS/PB are super easy and very common mods. I don't really have any trouble with the manual brakes and steering; it depends on your driving, but my truck is my daily/only driver and it works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10
Power steering and power brakes were factory optioned and are out there, but only in maybe 25% of the trucks.
I'd actually say that (IMO/IME) WAY less than 25% of these trucks came with options like power brakes or steering.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

PB conversion is cheap and simple...I know a place that sells reman stock PB systems..or you can go to the modern power brake system. PS is simple as well...long as you have a V8..if your looking for a 6 cylinder then power steering will be a little harder to come by. But these really aren't bad with the stock steering...heck..my 66 has the 48 year old steering gear box and I can be driving down the road at 55 and let go of the steering wheel and it still holds a straight line. Shortbed stepside trucks aren't hard to come by at all.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
chevyrestoguy

Welcome to the site. This is a great website, and the 60-66 forum is the place to be. There are a great bunch of people on here, and we'll be glad to help in any way we can.

Mission: Find PrimoOptimoso a truck!

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
dougf

Welcome to the site. I got my '66 short stepside while I was in Virginia, found it on craigslist in Norfolk. Check everything real good, my 66 has rusted to death being near the bay!
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
corvettejim1968

welcome to the forum. good luck finding what you want and when you do we like pics here lots and lots of pics are welcome.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
AcampoDave

Wink Re: New here - addicted to these trucks

I always used to say "power steering is for girls" that is of course until I put it on mine.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
PrimoOptimoso

Hey guys - found one that appears to be in just-right-for-me condition (as it doesn't look like it needs any welding or massive modywork). It's a fleetside, but they are starting to grow on me in a big way, and it's red, which I'd want to change but it's serviceable for now. What I don't know about this one is: what does the interior need besides some paint and a radio? Is there a good way to tidy up the wiring under the dash? Are the missing bits on the cluster, uhm, vital and easy to replace? (I don't know enough yet to know instinctively what's missing there)

And of course, how much should this one go for?

here it is on the Bay

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
72step

Welcome to the 60-66 obsession! I notice you're in VA. Just be careful in your neck of the woods for rust. If possible I would try and find an Arizona or West Coast truck. I live in NM and even here it's getting harder to find a completely rust free truck but I've seen them here and there on the web in the west. Keep in mind that not all rust on these trucks is completely visible. Always check the cab supports, inner rocker, kick panel etc...
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
PrimoOptimoso

The one I just shared from eBay is in Dallas, so hopefully not a hurricane truck but I have no way to check it ahead of time and need to take it at least a little on faith.

That said, since I am in VA near DC i'll ask: Hey, any good shops around here to do the things I don't have the savvy or equipment to do?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
PrimoOptimoso

And last but not least - guy says the red one is a 63 truck, but that doesn't look like a 63 dash. Either he got the VIN wrong or his truck is a frankenstein, yes? He says the title and all VIN plates concur.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
72step

Just a word of advice.... If you're not going to be doing the work yourself; wouldn't you be better off finding a restored truck? I've learned and am doing all kinds of bodywork on mine now from welding to paint. The main reason is because I don't have the cash to pay someone and around here restoration paint and body guys are non existent or extremely high dollar. The thing is although these trucks are awesome the value just isn't there imho to go pay a pro upwards of $10k for a paint job. Not to mention half the fun is working on these things lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Softpatch

Quote:
And last but not least - guy says the red one is a 63 truck, but that doesn't look like a 63 dash. Either he got the VIN wrong or his truck is a frankenstein, yes? He says the title and all VIN plates concur.
could be a Jimmy
the 63 chevy has two humps the 63 GMC has a rased portion over the gage cluster slop down 2 inches mid section strait accross to pass pillar...Sp
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
PrimoOptimoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
Just a word of advice.... If you're not going to be doing the work yourself; wouldn't you be better off finding a restored truck? I've learned and am doing all kinds of bodywork on mine now from welding to paint. The main reason is because I don't have the cash to pay someone and around here restoration paint and body guys are non existent or extremely high dollar. The thing is although these trucks are awesome the value just isn't there imho to go pay a pro upwards of $10k for a paint job. Not to mention half the fun is working on these things lol.
Well, my desire to work on the thing myself is not nonexistent, it's just limited by tools and workspace, really. So I am fine with something like this one that doesn't look like it needs much in the way of bodywork; I can do interior work, drilling/bolting/unbolting, wiring to some extent, etc. but by the same token I don't mind farming things out to pros to make sure it's right.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
PrimoOptimoso

Not a Jimmy either. it's a continuous-height dash all the way across (no humps) with the vertical plate for the fan and heater control, but instead of the three sliders it's a single knob.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
72step

Quote:
Well, my desire to work on the thing myself is not nonexistent, it's just limited by tools and workspace, really. So I am fine with something like this one that doesn't look like it needs much in the way of bodywork; I can do interior work, drilling/bolting/unbolting, wiring to some extent, etc. but by the same token I don't mind farming things out to pros to make sure it's right.
Oh I hadn't seen it. Looks like a decent truck.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #21
66Submarine

It's a '65. The title is wrong or the vin plate has been swapped. '63 was wraparound windshield; could be a '64 or '66 with swapped emblems, but no way it's a '63.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #22
PrimoOptimoso

Thanks. The other one I was looking at is a 66, far more "done" but asking 12k, so I'm keeping my options open and thought that was a decent looking one. No wonder the guy's auction says there have been questions as to the year....
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
PrimoOptimoso

Alllrightythen. The best candidate thus far has shown up, but the asking price is a little higher. It's a 1965 Chevy, short, fleet, BBW - seriously gorgeous and dead straight in pics at least. Original 289 and powerglide (engine rebuilt 3 years ago). Mostly unmolested besides a really nice paint job 14 years ago, digital ignition, new bumpers, and AC added under the dash - powerglide shifter is still on the column, even. Owner discloses that the starter solenoid makes a weird noise sometimes, and the rear trans seal drips a bit, and says both are cheap fixes.

Much as I wanted a stepside, the fleetsides are definitely growing on me. I'm going to look at this one this weekend.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
PrimoOptimoso

Update: drove up to PA this morning to look at the above rootbeer brown truck. I have to say, it's immaculate. Owner was very forthcoming about everything from the few little rust bubbles on the outer door skin (under the 14-y.o. paint but apparently no further decay since that point) to the trans seal leak mentioned above (fluid spot about the size of a golf ball within 1-2 weeks), even gave me a towel to crawl around under it to look at the frame and body mounts and all. Guy loves these trucks but prefers the earlier ones - he's got a flat black '51 in his garage that is just as clean and almost finished. Interior is gorgeous and has a Vintage Air system installed, oh and the state of Texas embroidered twice in the bench back, heh. Dummy radio for now but he has a USA1 unit to throw in if somebody wants it.

Anyways, my test drive confirmed what I had suspected - manual steering doesn't bother me, but around the DC area I would need power brakes. As it stands now the braking is predictable, not terrible, but I simply wouldn't be able to stop in time for a kid running out between cars in my neighborhood, etc. And for his asking price of 13-14k, I wouldn't have enough left over to add the brakes. Paint is a 5-10 footer after all this time and it needs new bed wood, but it's just as nice in person as it is in the pic I posted above. I will upload all the shots later this weekend for anyone's curiosity.