The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
Ironhorse

Starting Problem When Hot ?

Need some input and ideas on my 71 4x4 LWB. Has 350 V-8 with 2 bbl carb and unknown miles. Does smoke a bit on initial startup after it sets awhile but oil comsumption is not excessive. Drove it yesterday to Wichita and around, total about 45-50 miles. In town traffic and no problems. Stopped to get a cold drink, (Dr. Pepper while driving !) and when I attempted to start the truck it turned over good but did not fire. Have recently rebuilt the 2 bbl carb, new mechanical fuel pump and plug wires. After several attempts it finally caught and ran fine going home. Ran it 60-65 mph with no missing or hesitation at all. Later when I got home and attempted to start again within 15 minutes after arrival, same thing. Turns over fine but would not fire. Let it set for 30-45 minutes and started fine. Do I have a coil that is weak? Still has the breaker points ignition. Is there some way I can test the coil? Still has GM old style round coil but don't have any idea as to how old it is. Bad condensor in the distributor? Have a out of town truck show coming and don't want problems going or coming home. Any ideas or input is appreciated.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote