The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
JimmyFloyd

Removing the body from the frame

What is the best way to remove the body from the frame on my 1970 blazer? I am going to need to replace the body mount bushings, as well as clean and paint the frame and underside of the body, and could use some extra space to do it in.

Here is how the blazer sits right now:

I believe I have about a 12-18 inches before the top will hit the rafters once I remove the old door opener (coming down anyways as I have a new/used one to replace it with.) Underneath the truck is a 4.5 foot grease pit, so I will be able to stand up without needing to jack the frame up.

There is no gas tank in the truck, and the exhaust ends before the axles (true duals) currently. What will I need to remove from the firewall area? I figure the brake lines, clutch linkage and accelerator linkage. is there anything else?

To lift it, what should I use to lift and support the body? I just have a singe jack at the moment, but might be able to borrow another one.

Will I need to brace it at all? I don't have a welder yet, so currently bracing would have to be done with wood.

Thanks for all the help. Aiming to get my truck drivable by june hopefully.
JimmyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
RckyMntnKng

Thumbs up Re: Removing the body from the frame

I just did mine, although it was just about 4" to do the body lift and polys.
Since you are going a foot or more....

U may have to take the sidemarker and tail-lights loose.

The 4x4 shift lever in floor if you have one, just unscrew the knob and unbolt the rubber from floor.

You will definately have issues with the steering column unless you pull or extend it.

All the break lines as you mentioned...also the radiator will have to unbolt from the grill unless you got an extra foot of water tube.

I may think of more....but thats it for now
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Re: Removing the body from the frame

Just lie underneath it and start disconnecting anything that gets in the way. If your taking it all the way off it's a real pita. The parking brake cable is kinda real ***** to be honest with you, at least for me it was. Fuel filler line, ground straps, rad hoses and anything else related to motor that hooks to body somehow. Be ready, it's a ton of work.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
packers05

Dont be timid you can disconnect everything and have ready to lift off in a few hours have boxes with labels for all of the bolts and hardware. 4 guys can lift my tub with no doors,tailgate,seats, and windshield.
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
JimmyFloyd

Well, good thing is that the lights are all disconnected, there is no fuel tank in it yet, and I am not sure if the parking brake is hooked up.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
JimmyFloyd

forgot to add, I have the fenders off it also. Going to be spending some more time on it tonight, and hopefully selling some of my scrap metal, so that should free up some space to put stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
SeventyOne

This is something I will be doing down the road so I have a few questions that are related...

so you get the body off...where do you put it? Do you need to make/rent a body cart? What have you guys rigged up to hold the body while you pull the frame out to work on it?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote