The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
palposity

86 K20 Weak Spark

Hey Folks,

I need some advice. My K20 was running pretty good and all of a sudden would not start back up at the gas station after a fill up. I towed it back home with my diesel. The next morning it fired right up then died after a few seconds. I checked for spark and it seemed weak, but it was there. I put a meter on the hot wire going to the distributor and it was at 12V, but when cranking the engine it would drop to 6V or so. Is that normal? The truck will no longer start, but during cranking a cylinder or two will fire from time to time. I changed the ignition module inside the distributor, new spark plugs, I'm wondering if the coil inside the distributor cap could be drawing the current down, or would it have to be a short somewhere between the ignition switch and the distributor?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
LiveAnimals

Re: 86 K20 Weak Spark

I would look into replacing the coil (which acts like a transformer, taking a 12 volt signal steps it up to 10,000-20,000 volts, that energy returns to the dist. and is delivered via the rotor to a particular cylinder based on timing.

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Mike C

Yup. Most likely the coil. I would think about replacing everything. Check out Jeg's performance HEI with the polished housing. Low saturation high output coil, performance module, cap & rotor. They have it on sale right now for $100. I just bought pretty much this same one from Eastwood for my '86 K30. They ask $100 regular price but had a 15% off and free shipping that expired last day of November. Might be another coupon out there if you look, though.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax

Last edited by Mike C; 12-06-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i would replace the coil too... and be careful i bought an aftermarket one a few years back and it was defective.. turns out two others off the shelf in the same auto parts store were also bad... bought a AC Delco in another place and the vehicle is still running great

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
palposity

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I ended up having a spare coil from another truck that was known to be good. I replaced it but still can't get the engine to start. I pulled a spark plug and it had fuel on it so I'm getting gas, but not kicking over. I'm wondering if there is something goofy with the carb.
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
GMC Guy

make sure your battery is still ok, a lot of cranking can run down a battery pretty quick.
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Mike C

The Module will sometimes do that, but not as likely as the coil. Next, replace module. Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the cap with the key on. Honestly, I had these same issues with my 86 K30 which is why I ponied up the $85 for the ALL NEW distributor.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
palposity

Okay I'm really showing myself to be a rookie her, but I'm starting to think that the spark may be okay, but the carb is dumping too much gas into the cylinders. I pulled one of the plugs and it's absolutely soaked with gas. When I get home from work tonight I'm going to see if I can swap the carb with a spare that I have that worked okay before it was pulled a couple of month ago. Will advise progress.
View Project Pops HERE

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if there is no spark/weak spark that will happen.
What you need to do is pull off a spark plug wire and stick a screwdriver in it. you then put it so there is a space between the shaft of the screwdriver and a ground of about a quarter inch. have someone turn the key and watch. your spark should be bright electric blue.. anything less is bad spark.this will eliminate your thoughts about the carb If the coil is new and known good there is a module in there and thats next
NOW that being said if your plugs are covered in gas you will need to clean em and re gap em or replace them as too much gas will make the truck not run.
You should also leave the plugs out for a spell so the gas in the cylinder has a chance to evacuate so it dont flood again.
From what youre describing im thinking its more of a spark problem than a carb problem but then again im not looking at your truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
palposity

Well, Thank God I've got some resolution to the situation. I changed the carb and cleaned up the plugs and she fired right up.
I do have a bit of a timing problem though....It seems a little too advanced so I am going to have to adjust that after work tonight as well as change the oil to drain out the 1/2 quart of gasoline that has drained into the crankcase during this process.
Thanks to all of you for your help!
View Project Pops HERE

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB