The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Blanco_53

replacing/removing rocker panels and floorboard

Like the title says, i'm looking to replace the rusted out rockers and floorboards. My question is what is the correct way/process of removing and replacing them and what tools will i need?
Blanco_53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: replacing/removing rocker panels and floorboard

Do you have a welder?....thats kind of the big one.

Are you doing it with the cab on or off of the frame?

If you check out my build, I have a good chunk of a page on my process and pictures (its broken up in a few posts, so you have to go through it a little to see the start-finish)
I did it with body on frame as all of my cab supports were in decent shape; started by doing initial measurements to make sure things didn't move around.

I cut out the outer rocker, peeled it away from the inner piece, then started to cut the floor sections out. I used cardboard to mockup some patches, then cut the metal and did little stitch welds to get it in without using too much heat. Take it slow, keep it square and you should be golden. Its a bit more of an art than a science.

If you have the cab off, or are doing major sections of the floor including cab supports, grab tube stock and weld in some braces in an X to prevent things from shifting.

You need a GOOD welder w/ gas..NO FLUX CORE
Grinder w grinding and cutoff discs (and or a torch or plasma if you use those to cut)
measuring tools, a scribe
welding clamps help a lot, as does a welding copper spoon to avoid burn when you transition from new panel to any "questionable" areas.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
mud.man.rj

I agree, remember as mentioned to take it slow, step back a think about each step, measure things and have the replacement pieces there ahead of time to use as a reference, you will need them. leave extra when cutting, can be finish trimmed later to exact measurements. I just did both side on mine, inner/outer rockers/cab corners and doors, took way longer than i thought, but straight now.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
ozzyman

I should have a good amount of photos in my build for removal, havent gotten around to replacing yet, need to get home before that happens

Proud dad of 3 girls, 1 boy and 1 TBD in Dec of 2012 - Lucky Husband

"Family owned and operated since 1969"
Dad's 66' Custom Camper - Big Family Small Budget
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
trelogix

Also be prepared to take the doors on and off a lot, as well as the front fenders. If you're using repop replacement panels they will not fit the same as the old ones and its important to make sure things are lining up correctly. As mud.man.rj said, take it slow. I recently did both sides of my cab (rockers and outer floor pans) and it took 3 days to do the first side and two for the second. But then, I tend to "sit back and think" on thing quite a bit. Once its all in you may still find yourself using a 2x4 and 3lb finesse hammer to get things settled in correctly.

66 C10 Short Wide
51 1/2 ton (in storage waiting for 66 to be done)
Pickups N Panels Club - Dallas/Ft Worth
trelogix is offline   Reply With Quote