The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
FLcustom10

Lifter Retainer Ring?

I don't know if that's the correct name for it, but you can see in one picture it has fallen to the bottom, and in another I'm holding it part way up with my finger. What are the consequences of this and how expensive is it to repair?
Attached Images

FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
hjewell2

Re: Lifter Retainer Ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcustom10 View Post
I don't know if that's the correct name for it, but you can see in one picture it has fallen to the bottom, and in another I'm holding it part way up with my finger. What are the consequences of this and how expensive is it to repair?
Oh my that needs attention. needs to be replaced. Those are the stock oil deflecters. I dare say you have metal shavings floating about.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
FLcustom10

How hard is it to replace? Or could I just go with something like this since I have tall valve covers?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-67700/?rtype=10
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are there two different versions of retainers here, look at the springs to either side of the failed one....
What engine is this we are looking at?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcustom10 View Post
How hard is it to replace? Or could I just go with something like this since I have tall valve covers?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-67700/?rtype=10
To replace you would set that piston to TDC, remove the rocker arm, fill the cylinder with compressed air, use a vavle spring compressor to remove the part and then just put everything back together. Not a horrible job, but does require a special tool, compressor and fitting to put compressed air in the cylinder. (there's a video on youtube you can watch too)

The issue of possible shavings in the oil should be looked at as well, so an oil change and inspection of the filter is in order.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
FLcustom10

Thanks guys.

RenoKeene it's a 307, and it's possible that there are different versions. I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing, and it could just be the angle, but it did have a broken timing chain and some repair work for that many years ago.

Do I need to avoid cranking this up until it is repaired?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I would fix it if it were mine before I fired it up. And change the oil. I would also get a magnetic drain plug to catch whatever metal is floating around in there.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are there two different versions of retainers here, look at the springs to either side of the failed one....
What engine is this we are looking at?
On the exhaust valve spring the retainers have rotators that turn the valve each time it opens. Used on 1973 or later heads and the exhaust valves would have hardened seats
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
GRX

Agreed. I would fix that & remove the shards before firing it up. And check that valve/rocker assembly closely to make sure something didn't cause that deflector to break.
As hayhauler71 said, those are rotating retainers on the exhaust. As a side note ... for the 1st couple years Chevy used shorter exhaust springs to accommodate the thicker retainers, until the machines were re-tooled cutting the spring seats lower allowing all springs to be the same.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
FLcustom10

Thanks guys. Got it replaced. I think it's probably been that way for a long time and through many oil changes, but I'll do a couple of more oil changes to be sure.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Awesome, you did it yourself! I didn't realize how clean your engine bay was in the other pics...nice!

You say it was like that for a long time...wasn't it pretty noisy? Never had this happen, so I wouldn't know...
Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
FLcustom10

Thanks! I didn't really do it myself. I had a mechanic friend come over and I 'assisted'. He let me do a lot of it though. I really don't know how long it's been like that and it's been sitting for the past 6 years. I've been working on restoring it for about the past year. Here's a link to the first test drive last week, just before I discovered the problem. I only discovered it because the valve cover gasket was torn and leaking a bit, so I noticed it when I replaced the gasket. I thought it sounded OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiRp...ature=youtu.be