The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Talking Turn signal constantly on?

Okay I have a new unseen problem. My turn signal to the left is constantly on when I the signal is on. At first I thought it was a burned bulb. I just about changed all the bulbs on the driverside and still can't find the problem. I'm thinking maybe the flasher but the otherside works fine. After that, the turn signal switch in the steering column. Anybody ever have this type of problem?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
ChevyTech

If you are turning the signal on but it will not flash, only on one side, it's from low current flow. Standard flashers need the correct amperage flowing to flash correctly.

All bulbs must be good to flash correctly!!

Is a bad ground causing resistance - is one bulb dimmer? You can connect a test light to a good ground, then touch the probe to the base (brass part) of the bulbs while they are flashing. If it lights, you lacking a good ground.

Are the side marker bulbs (194 bulbs) burnt out. Check both the front and rear side marker bulbs. They add to the current draw, to make the flasher blink. Is the dash indicator bulb ok?

If the flasher filament in a bulb is broken, but laying on the other filament, it will light but may have a higher resistance.

Good luck
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Talking

Thanks for the reply. I did replace a few burned bulbs. Mostly the front turn signals because they are yellow and I could not see the filaments. Only two were not working. The turn signal on the front and the 194 in the rear light. I do have a 91 clip on my truck. When the turn signals flash, the front quarter light and turn signal both flash opposite from each other. The front signal flashes with the side marker. Looks really cool at night. During the day both front quarter and turn signal flash together.
I don't have a test light but I'll be getting one soon.