The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
69swbman

need some advice my blazer

i just got a 87 blaze and gonna drop a sbc in it its already got a th350 and 373 gears whats the best place to get everything that i need and how big of a raditor can i put on there

69 swb fleet saginaw 4 spd
70 lwb fleet (d/d-toy)
87 blaze
69swbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: need some advice my blazer

I take it all of the motor stuff is gone? If so, it would be easiest to get a complete used engine (usually from a wrecked truck) with all the brackets and components attached. You can put a 4 row radiator on there designed for a big block truck -- the front clip is the same as , --- say- a big block 1 ton for instance
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
69swbman

i ready have a complete motor runnin out of a 78 big 10 but since i live in a county should i go back tbi instead of the carb but i want away frm the computer stuff does ne body no where the best place i can buy stuff for this
69swbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swbman View Post
i ready have a complete motor runnin out of a 78 big 10 but since i live in a county should i go back tbi instead of the carb but i want away frm the computer stuff does ne body no where the best place i can buy stuff for this

Does living in a county matter in TX -- i am not familiar with your emissions laws or anything. I know in Oklahoma, there is no state mandated vehicle inspection law, so you can run a blown alcohol Donovan mountain motor if you feel like it.

Going with a tbi set up means you have to use a computer, because the fuel injection system depends on a computer to regulate it. For a stock application, the easiest thing is to get a complete TBI setup, wiring harness and all from a junkyard, or wherever, and have SLP Performance in Mena, AR re-do the computer as a "stand alone" system -- where it just operates the TBI and nothing else. This will cost a few bucks and i would expect that doing a tbi system like this might run close to a grand when all the receipts are tallied in the end

Just dropping the motor in out of that Big Dime would get it running without the computer -- not sure what you would have to do to use a mechanical fuel pump with the tank you have though -- it might need a different fuel pickup, -- the fuel pressure from your stock fuel pump in the gas tank is a little high for a carbureated truck and that might be an issue --- but a lot less headache than trying to piece together a new TBI system.

I am assuming that budget is a factor though and you are just trying to get the truck up and running again, not building a blinged out showpiece. If budget is not an issue - Scoggins-Dickey, Doug Herbert, Summit or Jegs can all sell you a complete, new crate motor from oil pan to carb or injector top

Last edited by streetstar; 08-09-2007 at 02:19 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
the fuel pressure from your stock fuel pump in the gas tank is a little high for a carbureated truck and that might be an issue
Would the mech. fuel pump serve as a regulator? Since the mech. pump is between the carb and tank wouldn't it only allow its rated flow through the pump?

I thought I read here that all you have to do is disconnect the power source to the in-tank pumps. But don't quote me on that.

Another small issue is with the TBI trucks the hard fuel lines stop under the cab then go into a braided steel line to the back of the throttle body. You might be able to run the braided lines up to where the steel lines would end on a carb'd truck though or even get some custom made lines to go all the way to the mech. pump.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote