The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 02:34 AM   #1
BRL

Disappearing Carb. Fuel

Years ago I read in a car magazine that GM put a tin heat shield underneath their quadrajet intake manifolds to keep hot oil from splashing on the underside of the intake runners and disrupting fuel distribution, so I put one on an Edelbrock aluminum intake and engine ran noticeably smoother.
Of course I sold the car that had that intake on it because sometimes I do stupid stuff.
Anyway my fuel was disappearing from my Edelbrock 600 cfm carborator fuel bowls after a few days of sitting and I suspected it was either leaking down through worn jet needles or evaporating due to boiling away.
So I added one of those resin spacers to see if that would be of any help and the problem seems to have disappeared.

I'm only mentioning all this because I needed to let somebody know that my retired fat bottom doesn't just hop up under the hood anymore and next time I'll just live with the problem.
Attached Images

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:37 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Disappearing Carb. Fuel

-
I don't hop up under the hood anymore either, I just crawl in...
Making sure I have plenty of padding under me. And yes the spacers definitely keep the fuel from boiling in the float bowls. They can also help with vapor lock. I use the Phenolic ones, I think the last one I bought was 3/4 or 1 inch thick.

Here is an interesting read on them.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...uretor-spacer/

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #3
BRL

Hey thanks for the reply and article, I found it to be an interesting read. 🙂

I just saw this spacer hanging on the rack at O'reilly's one day and figured it would help insulate the carburetor from engine heat, which it seems to do.

It is of an open plenum design and I would have preferred something with 4 individual holes for more bottom end torque, but it is thin so it's not adding much plenum area anyway and the engine seems to run smoother overall as well.

What really surprised me is the carb. is a square bore but the intake looks like it will accept a spread bore carb...when did I do that?

I'm not running any kind of adapter on it other than that spacer now but there are no vacuum leaks and the truck putts around town just fine for this old man.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #4
Sheepdip

Put one incher on Otis after I got the A/C up and running, my problems on hot days at long traffic lights/trains went away along with an empty carb the next morning. They work.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote