The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
maverickmk

WTB Fuel Sending Unit

I have purchased 2 fuel sending units from 2 different vendors and both of the floats are filling up with fuel. Does anyone have sending unit for the in-cab tank with at least a good float? If all else fails I may try to pull the one I have and see if I can get it to dry out and then use that spray flex seal stuff

*Edit: I have an I6 - 250*

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side

Last edited by maverickmk; 05-14-2021 at 09:16 AM.
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: WTB Fuel Sending Unit

I have a good working fuel sending unit pulled from a '70 3/4 ton with 350 V8. Not sure it has the float with it tho. Will check the parts stash later today and get back with you.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I have a good working fuel sending unit pulled from a '70 3/4 ton with 350 V8. Not sure it has the float with it tho. Will check the parts stash later today and get back with you.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Not sure if it matters, but I have an I6 - 250.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
Old 05-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
chevmn

Had same issue couple years ago, and apparently this is very common. I ended up finding a plastic (not sure of material) float on ebay which snap right in, and still working. Seems like it was only about $5 or so. Just another option for those who might see this and having same issue. If I recall it was being sold for a Jeep of some sort that used similar float

edit: I believe this is the item

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...RoC83QQAvD_BwE

Last edited by chevmn; 05-14-2021 at 10:21 AM.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
Had same issue couple years ago, and apparently this is very common. I ended up finding a plastic (not sure of material) float on ebay which snap right in, and still working. Seems like it was only about $5 or so. Just another option for those who might see this and having same issue. If I recall it was being sold for a Jeep of some sort that used similar float

edit: I believe this is the item

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...RoC83QQAvD_BwE
I'm using that plastic one too. It's working great!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
Ironhorse

Didn't find the sending unit from the '70 3/4 ton with the 350 V8. I do have a sending unit from a 67 GMC with a non-running in-line six. It looks good, moves freely on the float arm, still has the brass float and sock altho it is discolored with age.

Is there any way to test a sending unit out of the stock tank laying on the work bench?

Never have tried doing that before, no idea how. I do have a multi-meter but not sure how to attach the leads for a correct reading.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 05-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Didn't find the sending unit from the '70 3/4 ton with the 350 V8. I do have a sending unit from a 67 GMC with a non-running in-line six. It looks good, moves freely on the float arm, still has the brass float and sock altho it is discolored with age.

Is there any way to test a sending unit out of the stock tank laying on the work bench?

Never have tried doing that before, no idea how. I do have a multi-meter but not sure how to attach the leads for a correct reading.
I appreciate it, but I just ordered one of those floats from Summit. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
Old 05-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
chevmn

I have seen a lot of posts on the Internet regarding this issue with the replacement sending units, and many suggest to retain the old floats from bad sending units, or purchase one of the plastic ones as described. Which reminds me, I am putting a truck together and have a new sending unit. This float actually looks decent, but I am tempted to either submerge it and see how it does or just replace it before I even put it in the tank. The other one I had issues with was very obvious it appeared to have several cracks in it, so no way it would ever work.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I've had the same problem with aftermarket floats. Seems maybe the crap fuel they sell us in conjunction with cheap metal might have something to do with it. I'm running OEM right now but plastic might be the answer (if the crap fuel doesn't eat them too).
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
Ironhorse

Posted a question about checking the sending unit and the way I was doing it is correct. Looks like the sender is fried. Will keep the brass float and the locking ring, scrap the rest. Glad you found what you needed.

Did find a second sending unit and tested it as I was instructed via another thread. It tested good with the ohms changing with range of motion on the float arm. Only issue is looks as if the flare nut fitting was cut off at some point and guess maybe they used a rubber line and hose clamp. Works but not per the General when built. But then a lot of things on these trucks get changed thru the years.

Glad you got your float ordered. If it turn sour for you let me know as I do have an original brass float that needs a home, LOL.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks