The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Farmstore34

Question Dual Exhaust

Howdy all,
my '70 K20 has a 350 with dual exhaust. The exhaust on each side are independant and not connected together anywhere. Is it better to have a crossover pipe between them to balance the exhaust? What do you'all have? Thanks!
CLT.
Farmstore34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Rick Mills

Re: Dual Exhaust

If you have a stock intake manifold, then you don't need a crossover pipe. The exhaust is equalized in the crossover on the intake. Sounds weird but that's the way they used to do it.
A crossover pipe would give you a little better performance though.
I have an after market Holley intake that doesn't balance the exhaust, so I use a crossover.
Wife - Original {A Real Classic!}
Rick Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Farmstore34

I forgot to mention, mine has an Edelbrock intake, so I don't know if it has a crossover built in. It does still have the cool original ram horn exhaust manifolds though!
CLT.
Farmstore34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
GREASEMONKEY72

i have the stock intake and stock ramhorns with duals and no crossover and it runs just fine however the crossover will help with lowend torque and itll actually make it quieter to

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I`ve never run a crossover on anything I`ve had.It`s all new to me.I never noticed any lack in performance.I think the benefits are minimal.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Gray Ghost

If you do one, know that the X=pipe configuration is better than a straight crossover. Got a friend in Utah that runs one on his Elky and he swears by them.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
mnunn454

They generally perform better in higher RPM ranges. Performance gains in lower/stock engine RPM ranges is generally not noticeable (someone sure to argue this point) and seldom worth the cost of installing it. I agree that if you're going to put one in, you'll gain more perf from an X-pipe than an H pipe.

I have an H pipe crossover on my Elky 454 and it's fine, but for cruising I like the lower frequency "thumpier" sound better on my 454 Truck with no crossover. (Headers, Flowmasters and Edelbrock intakes on both).
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I`ve never run a crossover on anything I`ve had.It`s all new to me.I never noticed any lack in performance.I think the benefits are minimal.
I agree. There are small tuning benefits & Ive heard of a few guys doing crossovers to tone down the loudness of flowmasters a little. Ive never seen where its worth all the extra hassle to me...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
I agree. There are small tuning benefits & Ive heard of a few guys doing crossovers to tone down the loudness of flowmasters a little. Ive never seen where its worth all the extra hassle to me...

The only car that I ever ran a cross over pipe on was an early Vette and they came from the factory that way. My understanding why G.M. did this was to equalize the amount of back pressure to give exhaust a balanced flow. This in turn would allow the engine to breath better creating hp advantages. Unlike Hot Rod applications where you find the cross over back after the headers and just before the mufflers, a Corvette crossover was installed just under the front of the oil pan close to the exhaust manifolds.

esll.

Picture of my Vette taken in 1972.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-25-2007 at 12:15 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
jerry moss
Born Psycho

the H-pipe was used on small block fords running dual exhaust to balance out the sound, otherwise they sound like they're missing on the left side. somewhere along the line it was tested on a dyno and found to help low end torque numbers. then the X-pipe came along with the flowmaster scavenger pipes and they are supposed to work better than the standard H-pipe since they actually pull exhaust from one side to the other.
on a stock motor they don't benifit much but with engine mods they definitly help.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote