The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
71jimmy

B pillar VIN plate

The PO at some point repainted my interior black including the VIN plate on the driver side "B" pillar. I need to find a way to clean it back to original. I don't remember if it has printing on it that would come off with the black paint or if it's all stamped into the plate and won't come off.

If anyone has done this before, please post up how/what etc. Even if you haven't done it go ahead and throw out some ideas.

If someone has a good pic of the VIN plate to post that would give me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

PS This is for my '71 Jimmy if it makes any difference bt. years or makes.

Thanks Thanks

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: B pillar VIN plate

I happen to have a pic of mine. I'm in a similar boat, the PO got quite a bit of over spray on the plate, but its not completely covered. As you can see the printing on the plate is some sort of paint, but the specific info is stamped. You may also notice that the paint has flaked some but the printing underneath has stayed in place. If I were you I would try some light solvents so loosen the paint and see if it will come off. I don't know how well that stuff is printed on, but I would be willing to bet a little bit of mineral spirits wouldn't affect it. Start off with a little bit and see what happens.
Attached Images

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
71jimmy

You da man Critter!

Thanks for posting that pic, exactly what I needed. I hadn't thought of mineral spirits, sounds like a good place to start.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I am the man aren't I. Kidding. Let us know how it goes, I will be having to do the same thing eventually.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote