The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2004, 03:57 AM   #1
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Question about old Carter AFB

I have an Edelbrock 550 on my c10 right now. It runs REALLLLLY rich, especially in the right bank. Since it is identical to a Carter AFB, my old neighbor thinks I should just put one of those on there. He has one that has only about 100 hours on a boat on it that he's willing to give me. I am a little skeptical about it because I've heard a few bad things about these carbs. What do you think I should do? He says it's a 400 cfm. That just doesn't seem like enough for even a stock 350, but he uses one on his 366 big block and it seems to run well. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I would take the Edelbrock you have and check the float. I bet it is the problem. Carter and Edelbrock are almost identical. Biggest thing you see on a Carter and not on Edelbrock is extra ports for the emissions. Look at both floats and clean it up while you're there. You can take the top off the carb whie it's on the engine. No need to take the whole carb off.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Lester

Bet is not the float...

If you don't have a pressure regulator installed between the pump and the carb set at 5.5 psi the carb will always runs rich and idle funny...speed up and slow down.

Use a 4to9 psi holley regulator ($25).

Good luck.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

HLY-12-803
Old 03-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally posted by 79BIG10
Biggest thing you see on a Carter and not on Edelbrock is extra ports for the emissions.
Not true. They are identical, meaning theres versions like edelbrocks carbs for emmisions and versions with no emmisions stuff at all. I had to put a edelbrock top plate on my 600cfm AFB to get the bowl vent tube to pass emissions here.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Not true. They are identical, meaning theres versions like edelbrocks carbs for emmisions and versions with no emmisions stuff at all. I had to put a edelbrock top plate on my 600cfm AFB to get the bowl vent tube to pass emissions here.
You're right. The Edelborck 1400 is like a Carter model that has the extra ports. The other Edelbrock square bores don't have the emission ports. I'm so glad I'm exempt now

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Re: Question about old Carter AFB

Quote:
Originally posted by 75-K5
I have an Edelbrock 550 on my c10 right now. It runs REALLLLLY rich, especially in the right bank. Since it is identical to a Carter AFB, my old neighbor thinks I should just put one of those on there. He has one that has only about 100 hours on a boat on it that he's willing to give me. I am a little skeptical about it because I've heard a few bad things about these carbs. What do you think I should do? He says it's a 400 cfm. That just doesn't seem like enough for even a stock 350, but he uses one on his 366 big block and it seems to run well. Any suggestions?
you sure about these flow rates? Never heard of a 400cfm AFB. But it could exist. The only time Ive seen 4 barrels with really low flow are olllld carter's that were for dual-quad manifolds. I would ditch the afb altogether and go with either a holley or a quadrajet, personally. As for the boat carb, was it originally built for a boat? because they're usually pretty wild and will be jetted fat for a lot of WOT use. I dont recommend using the boat carb. But it might be worth a shot. In the end your best bet is an edelbrock quadrajet

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Well he claimed it was a 400, but he might have just thrown that number out (he tends to make up numbers on the fly). I will just try to mess with the Edelbrock for now, and hopefully sell it on eBay or something and get a Quad, but then I'd have to get a different manifold, correct? Or can I just get an adapter. If I remember right, the AFB types are square bore and Quad's are spreadbore, but don't quote me on that. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #9
mike reeh

that is correct. But a afb never came on your truck stock so it will be the "same emissions" (take the quote for what its worth).. If its passing with a afb, it will be ok with a tuned q-jet..

what kind of intake manifold do you have on the truck now? Since this body style of truck never came with a squarebore, it either has an adapter now or maybe it has an intake manifold that accepts both spreadbore and squarebore carbs, orrrr it just has a squarebore manifold period.

mike
Old 03-26-2004, 02:34 AM   #10
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

It's a Holley dual-plane intake, so not stock. Emissions? What the fork is that? We ain't got no emissions in this hillbilly place. How much do you think I'd be able to get out of that carb? It's only a 550 (at least I think it is, that's the little number stamped on the front passenger side "leg" of the carb). Is it worth anything at all?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:31 AM   #11
mike reeh

Quote:
Originally posted by 75-K5
Emissions? What the fork is that? We ain't got no emissions in this hillbilly place
Hmm.. I swear when I was writing my last response, I looked down at the thread and you had typed something about wondering if switching carbs would change how you pass emissions.. (or something similar, in fairly bad english)..

Not to be rude but I think I either mistook someone elses post for yours, and/or someone went back and modified their post! I definately wrote that as a direct response to what I read.

Wierd, huh.

anyways.......... as far as a price for that carb it depends on what kind of shape its in and what the true cfm is.. if theres a zillion miles on it and its worn and crusty and loose, you probably wont get a whole lot for it.. check out ebay for the going rate

mike