The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
71Rat
ran out of money

voltage reg, stay external or go internal?

ok well a couple months ago my voltage reg went bad... A/C Delco regulator, so i got a new one. china cr@&, well start the truck up and go out for a drive, everything seems to work out untill about 10 miles from home it starts charging at 18 volts, if i let it go back down to idle it would charge at 12 (or not charge because it would be battery voltage at that)... so i tryed to limp home with it and by the time i got home battery all over inner fender and everything. So i was thinking should i convert over to a one(or 3 wire) wire and get rid of the external reg or just try and find me a a/c delco reg?

if i went to a internal reg. how do i wire that up?

Sorry for being sooo long

Rat
Old 05-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

i went to internal due to the fact that my previous 68 had external and i had one heck of a time trying to trace the problem down when the battery quit taking a charge. wound up replacing both when i didn't need to. So on my new 68 i went internal. 2 weeks after install it went bad. only one thing to test and replace. boom done! My .02

sswj

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

i'd say go to a nice newer series 3-wire www.madelectrical.com and read some articles they've got... definately gave me some new perspectives
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Woody

The biggest reason to go with an internal reg is they are electronic instead of mechanical. This gets rid of the flickering headlights and other problems associated with the old mech. regs.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
71Rat
ran out of money

i knew about most of the advantages of the 3 wire or 1 wire over the external...

Big69c20 thanks for that link it helped out

looks like once i get some money in i can get my truck back on the road, thanks everyone

Rat
Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
72BLAZERDUDE

I am using one from an 85 Trans Am in my 72. It is also 108 amp.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

regulator

Here is something to think about. If you have a high amp draw system you should convert to the internal regulated alternator, but for 9.95 for an external regulator that has no points. If the rest of the system is good--Welll. I have no experience with these units so I can't verify their durability so maybe someone on the board can expound on them.
Click on electrical systems and go to page two.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-1996/c-10101

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
rabbitjaws67
still plays with trucks

I had the same prob.with reg. bought 3 at advanced auto , they were point style .Then I went napa and got a solid state With no moving parts fixed my prob , good luck
rabbitjaws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
71Rat
ran out of money

well i just broke down and got another external from napa, seems to work fine now... hopefully i dont have anymore problems because i cant afford much more right now..... college student + working on old trucks= one poor ars kid

Thanks everyone for the help i will keep it all in mind in the future if i need another or if i swap over to internal

Rat
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
mvpco

Internal Reg

I have a ?, Mine is a 72, I went to internal and started charging at about 18 volts, it went bad, I put another one on and it charges fine, but..... when I hook the wire from the junction block on passenger fender to positive on battery, there is a slight spark, when I leave it hooked up the battery goes dead by next morning, I looked a schematic and it(wire on junction block) goes to regulator. I did the conversion as described in an earlier post.

Should there be a spark when I hook the wire from junction block on fender to positive on battery?

I am using a Autozone DL7133 Altenator

Jeff Smith
Pensacola, FL
http://www.mvpc.com/1972chevy.htm
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #11
71Rat
ran out of money

that wire goes to a fuseable link.. that supplies all the power to everything else on your truck excpet your starter. you must have a drain somewere along the line or a short... time to start pulling fuses and see what the drain is from..... hook a test light in series with that wire to the battery, start pulling fuses, when the light goes out you have found the area of the problem. I dont think there should be a spark, but then again when i hook mine up it does spark and my radio lights for a second then goes off, kinda uses some power to save the presets or something like that.

hope that helps some
Rat
Old 05-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Don't forget to check the faq.
Todd
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote