The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
grs

How to install gas tank?

What is the best way to install the gas tank in a 64? I was thinking to install the gas filler hose. Tighten the clamp, then put the tank in the truck, and tighten the tank in place. Then put the grommet in the body. Then push the filler neck into the grommet , and then into the filler hose.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
tincan1966

Re: How to install gas tank?

You won't be able to get to the clamp very easily to tighten the filler tube to the hose.
I think a lot of guys install the grommet, then install and tighten the hose onto the filler neck. Then push filler neck thru grommet(a little white grease helps a bunch here) then install the tank, raising the passenger side slightly to help align with filler hose, push hose onto tank, set passenger side down, install straps and tighten everything up.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Mike Wessinger

I did this a few months ago to replace a rotted and cracked filler hose. I took measurements of the old setup so once I reassembled it, all would be in the right spot. I attached the new hose and the filler neck to the tank, tightened all the clamps, installed the grommet in the body, then worked it back in place as I reinstalled the tank. I used a bit of soapy water to help the filler neck through the grommet.

And, as a bit of "know better next time I need to do this", removing the tank will be a lot easier with the tank empty. I wrestled it out almost full and had to pour the gas out of it after I removed it. Sometimes, you gotta learn the hard way.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
firemanjimtfd

I tried several ways yesterday finally put hose on tank and neck and tightened up. Left grommet out . Put tank in truck and slid grommet on neck and worked into cab hole. Be careful around paint. I had trouble getting my sending unit all the way in so I could put the screws in. Had to bend pick up tube up a little. It was hitting bottom of tank. I love repo parts.
firemanjimtfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjimtfd View Post
I tried several ways yesterday finally put hose on tank and neck and tightened up. Left grommet out . Put tank in truck and slid grommet on neck and worked into cab hole. Be careful around paint. I had trouble getting my sending unit all the way in so I could put the screws in. Had to bend pick up tube up a little. It was hitting bottom of tank. I love repo parts.
Who did you buy the tank from? And isn't it a close fit between the grommet and the filler tube? I put one in 18 years ago, but I had help.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
You won't be able to get to the clamp very easily to tighten the filler tube to the hose.
I think a lot of guys install the grommet, then install and tighten the hose onto the filler neck. Then push filler neck thru grommet(a little white grease helps a bunch here) then install the tank, raising the passenger side slightly to help align with filler hose, push hose onto tank, set passenger side down, install straps and tighten everything up.
Do you mean put the hose on the short tube that the cap goes on, and then push it out from the inside.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
grs

Where did you all buy the grommet. And has it lasted a long time. I want to do this job once and only once. I plan to go to Good Guys car show at Texas Speed Way this week end. There will be venders there. And do you know who sells the best tank?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
McCoyAZ

Hope the Good Guys show in Texas has more Vendors than the one in Scottsdale does.

Pretty much been taken over by non auto related sellers as best I saw anyway.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoyAZ View Post
Hope the Good Guys show in Texas has more Vendors than the one in Scottsdale does.

Pretty much been taken over by non auto related sellers as best I saw anyway.
They don't have Good Guys in Joliet, Il anymore. I used to live there.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Do you mean put the hose on the short tube that the cap goes on, and then push it out from the inside.
I got the tank in. Thanks for the help. Can't smell gas in the cab. At least not yet.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
evolve520

Here is the write up I did when I installed my new gas tank recently
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595816
evolve520 is offline   Reply With Quote