The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
jamesrussell26

not again...wiring question

ok i need some help.i have a 66 long fleet. i and using a factory gauge instrument panel, and i am working on adapting the stock wiring harness out of my 84 parts donor. i have the wiring from the 84 to the 66 cluster figured out and labeled, i am using the stock auto column from the 66. i need help sorting out the starter circuit under the dash, engine compartment is done.since i am not using the 84 column i have lots of plugs and wires that need to go somewhere lol. the wiring diagrams i have for the 84 are almost useless the circuits are barely labeled and the spread almost 6 pages. this should not be so difficult, any help would be greatly appreciated.
jamesrussell26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: not again...wiring question

I would get a good wiring diagram for the donor and pull all the wires out of it that are not needed. And then work out a plan for the mating of the two. With what you are trying to do with using the stock column and dash I would have put a AAW classic update harness in the truck and then set the engine up with a stand alone harness. I think the wiring would have been a lot cleaner and made it easier to set up and trouble shoot when there is a problem. These trucks are really simple to wire and easy to fix when they have a problem. Just my .02 but I think with the mix if you ever have a problem it will be near imposable to trace it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
jamesrussell26

The problem is finding a good diagram. This project is being done on the CHEAP. All the circuits will be correct so trouble shooting will be easy
Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
tincan1966

I agree with Jimmy.

Good diagrams are not hard to find, they just aren't normally free. Any service manual covering the 84 model year will include a diagram.
Your donor has a lot more circuits than you will ever need and they are divided up a lot differently thru the ignition switch on the '84, as compared to the original 66.
The 66 does not have an "accessory circuit" so anything on that side of the fuse box from the 84 is going to have to be jumped over to the "ignition" side of the '66 switch.
This means manually sorting and separating all the wires on the back of the donor fuse block and making the necessary jumpers.
In other words, you're going to end up with a birds nest of unused wiring.

Another way to look at it - your "new" wiring is 30 years old!
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
jamesrussell26

I see the point for the new harness. But I don't have the cash. Thanks anyway guys.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
AcampoDave

Patience and a gopd test light. Many colors didn't chage much but their positions and plugs did. Red is usually direct hot and pink is ignition hot. You will need to get the red ones sorted out first that will get your fuse bolck powered up. Next sort out the pink ones, then follow up from scratch working down the lines, to, the various destinations of each circut., heavy wires run higher loads, heater, wiper etc but you need to get the fuse block and ignition going first. Be patient and work your test light, it's, your best friend! Also, get plenty of connectors, zip ties and shrink wrap.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
PGSigns

Here are a couple of issues I see you are going to have to deal with. First is the column mounted ignition switch and finding a dash mount switch to carry the load and the number of circuits to replace it. Then once you have that weeded out take it one system at a time. Start with the lights, and then the heat and then the wipers. All these will need to rewired to match the way the 66 is wired. The 84 had separate markers front and back and duel head lights so you will need to loose a couple of wires. If you google the wiring on the 84 wiring you can find everything you will ever need. I would lay the harness out on a table and use the diagrams for each system and remove all the things like power windows AC and any other things you wont be running all the way back to the fuse box and then start making the new runs off the harness and do it one system at a time. Also there is a lot of info in the 73 to 87 section here. Those guys could be a lot of help to you also.
Jimmy
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote