The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
East_Bound

Problems with 3 on the tree

What's up guys -

Ever since I got this truck, I've had a bit of problems with the 3 speed. For the most part, it works well. However, it grinds/clunks when I put it in first gear every few times while I am driving. I understand that the tranny was not made with a synchronized first gear, so I only shift into first when at a complete stop so that is not the issue.

Also, at least once during a drive, when I go to shift from first to second, it somehow gets stuck inbetween gears and the only gear I can go back to is first gear while driving (it doesn't grind or clunk). So what I have to do is pull over and then shift into second/third/reverse/first while stopped and then it is usually back to normal.

My flywheel is due for replacement, could this be the cause for this or is this a problem with the transmission itself? Thanks.

-Nick
East_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
East_Bound

Re: Problems with 3 on the tree

I have checked the fluid and it was a bit low, but nothing critical. I topped off, but it did not make a difference in performance.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Bound View Post
I have checked the fluid and it was a bit low, but nothing critical. I topped off, but it did not make a difference in performance.
you gotta double clutch, meaning never go from gear to gear neutral in between while releasing the clutch, then push clutch in then switch gears. the linkage is prone to bind if you switch gears too quickly. its a easy kinda setup that takes a little patiences and a gentle touch to work it...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
East_Bound

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely start doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
you gotta double clutch, meaning never go from gear to gear neutral in between while releasing the clutch, then push clutch in then switch gears. the linkage is prone to bind if you switch gears too quickly. its a easy kinda setup that takes a little patiences and a gentle touch to work it...
Old 04-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
East_Bound

Any tips on what I may be doing wrong when shifting into first gear? I usually downshift from 3rd to 2nd and then to neutral and coast to a stop. Once I want to put it in gear, I push in the clutch all the way and slowly bring shifter towards myself and down. It usually works well, but sometimes clunks into gear randomly. Any other tricks that these trucks like that may help putting into first gear with ease?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #6
notsolo

On the column under the hood lube the shift linkage.2 Plates that come out of the column rub together, try and get some in between and on both sides Some kind of lube with a tiny applicator....I liked this stuff ( Green can ).... http://www.iqproducts.com/primislubegel.html...Also inside the column on top where the shifter is...You might want to look for a later model 3 speed Saginaw if you like what you have, Syncromesh started about 67-69
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Bound View Post
Any tips on what I may be doing wrong when shifting into first gear? I usually downshift from 3rd to 2nd and then to neutral and coast to a stop. Once I want to put it in gear, I push in the clutch all the way and slowly bring shifter towards myself and down. It usually works well, but sometimes clunks into gear randomly. Any other tricks that these trucks like that may help putting into first gear with ease?
You need to adjust your clutch. The disc isn't quite releasing when you have the clutch pedal to the floor.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
61K10

don't put it in neutral like you said you do. leave it in 2nd and completely stop, then pull down into 1st.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
nail pounder

Ive had the same issues with my 58, I agree with putting it in 2 or 3 before first to avoid grinding. There was you tube video on adjusting the linkage, It took about 15min and I haven't had problems sticking between gears since. No speed shifting though.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
East_Bound

Thanks, I found the video of the 3 on the tree. I'll work on that tomorrow, glad to see from the comment section of the video it's not a very uncommon issue. As far as the speed shifting, I don't plan on taking my truck to that track any time soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail pounder View Post
Ive had the same issues with my 58, I agree with putting it in 2 or 3 before first to avoid grinding. There was you tube video on adjusting the linkage, It took about 15min and I haven't had problems sticking between gears since. No speed shifting though.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
Cape Codder

To correct trouble while upshifting look at the bushings under the hood. Where the shift rods from the trans meet the steering column the bushings wear out causing the shifter to hang up or get stuck between gears.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
East_Bound

Ok, I'll check that out, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
To correct trouble while upshifting look at the bushings under the hood. Where the shift rods from the trans meet the steering column the bushings wear out causing the shifter to hang up or get stuck between gears.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Shorty Cox

If I'm understanding your description of the problem, it has little to do with the flywheel, clutch adjustment, fluid levels, double clutching, etc. Your problem is a common thing with an old wore-out 3 on the tree. Your problem lies within the shift tube on the steering column. To my knowledge there are not replacement, or re-build kits available. One can re-build the shift tube parts. Do a search on here. There are threads about the subject.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
NCD1966

i guess im luckly, i can pretty much speed shift mine. but I have been driving this thing since i was 12 though. I'm 35 now.
1990 Chevy Suburban 350 tbi 2x4 (sold)
1984 Chevy C10 sliverado short fleet
1997 Chevy C1500 short fleet
NCD1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
TopFuel1966

If you are having grinding and shifting problems with your old truck then you have worn/mis-adjusted 50 year old shift linkage/clutch/transmission parts issues. I drove a brand new off of the dealer's lot in 1964 and never once in the three years that I owned it did it hang up between gears while shifting or require any double clutching to get it into first gear without grinding when stopped.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
East_Bound

Alright guys. So I have been working on these problems I have been having with the 3 on the tree and have discovered that pretty much all of the things that have been suggested are true. The bushings are definitely due for replacement (one isn't even on there anymore). Shifting into 2nd/3rd before 1st helps 1000%. And the shifter linkage did need adjustment, so I took care of that. Now for the next issue I'm having after all that has been done:

When shifting from 1st to 2nd, it does not just pop into neutral after 1st and then into 2nd. You have to give it some serious elbow grease to push it over where the 2nd and 3rd gear are as well as 2nd going back to 1st or reverse. I put grease on the piece that moves back and forth under the hood and that helped a lot while moving it with my thumb, but did not transfer over to actually moving the shifter back and forth. It was good before I did the adjustment, but now it is very stiff. It shift into all gears fine, but just takes a lot of effort (my right elbow is killing me as I'm typing). Any information is helpful! Thanks.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #17
pimpston65

elbow brace...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
East_Bound

Considering it, anyone else have some input on what I could have done to make the push to 2nd and 3rd harder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
elbow brace...
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
1966shortwide

If your neutral gate is stiff ,pulling toward you and pushing forward to dash, just get some pb blaster or any lube with a little nozzle tube and slide the shift handle cover boot back and shoot into the opening while moving the shifter in the neutral gate . You are lubing the shift tube where it goes in the upper collar. They get gummy and don't want to slide up and down. I have had a couple of truch's like that and instantly free's it up.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #20
East_Bound

Great, thanks. I am on my way to get some PB blaster. I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966shortwide View Post
If your neutral gate is stiff ,pulling toward you and pushing forward to dash, just get some pb blaster or any lube with a little nozzle tube and slide the shift handle cover boot back and shoot into the opening while moving the shifter in the neutral gate . You are lubing the shift tube where it goes in the upper collar. They get gummy and don't want to slide up and down. I have had a couple of truch's like that and instantly free's it up.