The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool 84 10 questions

My 10 paint is beat to the max, actually never seen paint shrink and crack (sorta looks like desert ground) what is the best way to eat this paint off. Tried 60grit and its too time consuming for me. As much of the cab are like this.
Also, what is causing the bubbles underneath paint, my bedsides are covered in these bubbles. Will a chemical stripper do the job, if so what is recommended?
Thanks for all advice, it is greatly appreciated.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps265e69d6.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa6942b9.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...pse06b8e3b.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 84 10 questions

im gonna move this to body for more responses

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
cfan10

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan10 View Post
Thanks for all advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Your best price and cheapest/easiest is getting your parts sand/media/soda blasted. Chemical stripping is a pain in the butt. It is messy, environmentally unsafe, chemical burns on your skin suck, and the time and labor is just isn’t worth it.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
hugger6933

I say this all the time here but apparently you don't hang out here much. It is called bodywork not bodyfun for a reason. It is work it is a pain in the rump roast. It is messy. Now your condition of paint is crazing and cracking and the only way to make it where it does not show up on the next paint job is to remove the paint completely, so you are on the right track. The last poster made a great point that media blasting is a great option, but if you are out in the sticks like I am [I get monday night football on thursday afternoon] it may not be feasible. 60 grit is a bit harsh I don't recommend going over[under] 80 grit to strip panels with not only from the scratches standpoint but the heat build up as well on the thinner stuff [todays imports]. Now spray can stripper is an alterantive but there are many precations you must take, like well vented ares to spray but not so well that you get overspay on other carsand stuff. Keep it off your skin and it is attrcted to mucus membranes so that is why the eyes and nose are seeminly the first plases this stuff wafts its way to no matter what direction away from it you are standing. Ok after you spray the stripper and scrape the panel, you have to deactiveate the stripper, so a wipedown with laquer thinner over the panel will do the trick in cleaning it up nicely. Then here comes the suprising part,you have to sand it with your da sander, first 80 or 120 then 200 to smooth that up. Unless the stripper took it all off on the first pass the you can go right to the 220 right after the wipedown. now after the 220 sanding you need protection, so it is prime time. I suggest 2 to 3 coats of epoxy primer then 2 to 3 coats of high build primer . If you have bodywork to be done it would be between the epoxy and the high build primers and that is a whole nother post or do a searh on me I have walked a few through those steps as well. If you need any more help, we should be here. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
pontgta

The biggest tip i can offer.....Is you need to use a machine.......not by hand..media blasting would work,but Da sander is my favorite.
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
cfan10

Sincere thanks guys! I was thinking about airkraft in a gallon. Not looking to do a show quality paintjob just one color and not cracking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
hugger6933

I think I have used it . It will work just make sure to watch for the overspray and don't let that stuff get on you if you can at all help it. Some people it does not bother as much as others and then some have a tolorence to it from the start that disappears and all of the sudden your sick from it. It is weird I know. It is an effective and fairly safe [as long as common sense is used] product and will remove the paint in a quick manner. Don't get in to big of a hurry and try to rush it as is the case in my shop when my dad always wants to get something done yesterday. Just be careful around the trim so that it does'nt go into nooks and crannies and then leak out of them at inoppertune times like after a fresh primer coat or worse yet a fresh paint coat. Things like that have happened and do happen all the time and that is why I write out all of these post so extensive trying to give more information than you may need to keep you or someone else from making a serious mistake. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote