The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
legotech7

Mustang tank install help...

Well, after all the research and measuring and back and forth with some folks on the net, I decided to get a mustang tank for my bag build. I had a LMC Blazer type tank under the bed, but it sat too low for my taste. It just didn't look right. So I got the tank from Tanks Inc. Nice tank except it wouldn't fit between the frame rails. where it was supposed to go. Seems that its a tad too wide at the bottom end about an inch on each side. So I would once again ask those in the know. If I cut out about an inch from each side of the bottom of the frame rail, will this hurt the strength and integrity of the frame? Will it weaken it much. I had to remove the rear brace, so I could slide the tank in. I was going to fab a tube frame to sit the tank in and bolt it down nice and neat. That would bring it up at least another inch and it wouldn't scrape the ground when I lay the truck out.

I should mention, my ride is a bagged 70 C10...

This is what I might need to cut out, where its marked. It would still leave me 2'' of the frame rail. I think it might work. I wasn't anticipating this little issue, but I need the advice of some one whose done this, before I proceed... Thanks all........
Attached Images

legotech7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
SierraMtns

Re: Mustang tank install help...

I'm in the market of a under the bed tank. Can you post more pic and details about the tank? Sorry can't give any input about the frame. I'm new to metal work and welding.
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
69chevytrucker

if you are behind your axle you are fine to trim your frame just trim where you need keep it a close fit
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
legotech7

Yes its behind the axle and was told I would have nor problems. I will replace the piece I removed to get access to the inside of the frame rail. It will look nice neat when I'm done. I just needed some more input about notching out the frame....

Thanks 69chevytrucker
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
legotech7

Here's the link to where I got my tank. Lost of info here...SierraMtns......

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...ctory/home.htm
Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
legotech7

Well while I'm figuring my tank install, something else accured to me, that this tank has no vent outlets. Now I know I could probably use a vented gas cap. But I used those before and didn't think they worked very well. If I just drill a hole on the top of the tank and tap it and used a barbed fitting, would that be alright? Or is there something else I can do to vent it properly?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
hfd410

check my build thread, I used a mustang tank (68). I tapped the neck under the cap and threaded a hose bib into it for a vent as well as a vented cap. I used the Ford pickup tube for supply and brazed a penny over the return fitting. Then put a 90ohm sending unit in top of tank. Works great...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #8
Larry.sisk

1972 short bed with after market tank between frame rails. Is this like what you replaced because it's too low? Just curious.
Attached Images

Larry.sisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
legotech7

Thanks hfd410, your tank looks exactly like mine. I'd like to ask a few more questions if I may..In pic, page #3, post#57, how exactly did you mount the tank?.. Did you just simply use four nuts and bolts and mounted it to the upper frame rail? And for the rear cross member, it looks like you used piece of angle iron of some sort, bolted it to the ends of the frame rails and bolted the end of the tank to that? Its how I would like to mount mine.

BTW, your build thread is awesome, beautiful truck, lots of information, thanks so much......
Old 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
legotech7

Larry.sisk, almost similar, I used a 65 to 68 mustang tank because the over all depth of the tank was just 7-1/2 ''. The other tank I had measured 11-1/2''.
Because my truck is bagged when I lay it out, the tank would hit the ground. Plus it looked terrible when viewed from behind even with the bumper on. so this tank for me was the best option. I just needed Ideas as how to mount it. And I think I got some good ones from hfd410.... I got my tank from Tanks Inc. The pick up tube on this tank BTW, is built in to the tank at the rear. 3/8 threaded bung hole for you gas line...

Hope that helps.......
Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
Larry.sisk

Legotech7 thanks for the info ,I bought this truck in 2008 and the previous owner had started doing some things to it , the fuel tank being one of them , any way I've been busy trying to sort out my direction with this truck , I love your trucks look, when it's right ,and has good lines, it's just obvious. When I get better at posting more than one picture I'm going to put some pics out therein hopes of getting all this good feed back from you guys that are turning out these beautiful trucks . I just spent part of the day today removing the riveted three speed trans cross member , and the clutch pedal ass. And steer column also a whole pile of stereo video moniter elec door locks alarm 110 volt inverter to run the monster ,all that crap might be ok if it had been done good but wow . Last night I ordered a auto steer column,linkage, and cross member from LMC .a couple of forum members had these parts but I suck at find in things twice in her and how to ship and pay, thanks to all that have offered their help pictures to follow.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Larry.sisk

Hope I can work on that truck better than I can navigate in this forum.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
Larry.sisk

Cool Re: Mustang tank install help...

Having trouble with the pics trying to not ask the wife for help.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Larry.sisk

Man looks like the hole in the floor was done with a claw hammer this was a three on the tree and it was turned into a floor shift manual would this be a low hump or high hump cab ? Anyone know
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
Larry.sisk

Removed a 327 and three speed out
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Larry.sisk

Donor car had a 350 with TH350 and it also had scoobydoo interior never seen anything like it
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.sisk View Post
Man looks like the hole in the floor was done with a claw hammer this was a three on the tree and it was turned into a floor shift manual would this be a low hump or high hump cab ? Anyone know
It probably was a low hump. Now it's gonna hafta become a high hump with the SM465.
"Scooby-Do interior"? Does that mean it was strewn all over with doggie snacks?
Legotech -- What's the capacity of the '68 Mustang tank?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #18
legotech7

Larry, looks like you a great starter project. Love the pics, keep en coming. I'm sure you'll find everything you need in the forum pages, Don't hesitate to ask... My ride will be a rat ride for now. Just like you the PO did a bunch of stuff to it I had to redo, and you know when you take things apart something else pops up and you gotta fix that too... Have fun....
Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
legotech7

'68OrangeSunshine, the tank is a 16 gallon. There are bigger size tanks but for this project it was ideal for me... Maybe more stops to the gas station, but no biggie, it only going to be a weekend beater anyway......
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Larry.sisk

Sorry guys but what is a SM465?
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
Larry.sisk

We'll I told ya scoobiedoo interior, question is what drug made him want it?
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
legotech7

Well got the tank hung up. What a job, must have put in and out at least half a dozen times,checking for fitment, clearances and the such. Still have to vent it and add the sending unit and should have that done soon. Then I'll put the bed back on and locate the air tank witch will set in the bed, plumb the air lines and wire the compressor, and I should be done. I hope...

Here are a few pics of the tank...
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.sisk View Post
Sorry guys but what is a SM465?
It's the GM code for the floor-shifting Muncie, Indiana-built 4-speed Syncro Mesh 465 manual transmission with a Granny-Gear. Made from 1968-on. Definately a high hump application.
If you're happy with 16 gallons, that's great. It's your rig. At least you won't pay too much at fill-up time. My '67 Suburban had a 20 gallon maintank and a 16 gallon auxiliary and that was never enough to feed its voracious 454.

And that Scooby-Do upholstery is hilarious. You should keep it just for the comedic factor.
My guess is Potheads, since they both have the munchies all the time, they have an affinity for the animated canine.

RutRo! after actually reading the earlier post, stating that your tranny is a Three-on-the-tree [Saginaw] modified to a floor shift lever, rather than a real SM465, you may get away with the low hump.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-09-2014 at 10:27 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
hfd410

sorry bout that been away a few days. thats what I did too, just built an angle iron frame and bolted it up just like that.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #25
SierraMtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
sorry bout that been away a few days. thats what I did too, just built an angle iron frame and bolted it up just like that.
Did you have to cut your frame too for the tank to fit?
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote