The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
monte0185

Hydraboost Install

Well since the M/C setup on my truck was completely rigged and unsafe and I really like better than manual brakes I decided to swap to a hydraboost setup. My cam has zilch for vacuum at idle so vacuum brakes weren't an option so here is my Hydraboost setup on the cheap. After looking under my dash to see how everything was hooked up I got really scared and was surprised I didn't loose all my braking period due to the rigged up nature of my petal setup. So after some research and finding out that a 1-ton hydraboost petal assembly is in fact different than a half ton. I started gathing things. In a couple ways the petal setup differs. One is where it bolts to the firewall. It only has 2 lower studs cause the hydraboost has studs for the upper two. Second is the petal setup itself with the light switch bracket is different as well. Or at least its different between manual petals and automatic. So onto the booster. Buddy of mine snagged me a 80's Hydraboost booster off an astro van I think and I had a 98 model C20 6.5TD parts truck over at my brothers house so I combined the two.. Now the 98 booster is different and so are the way the lines are ran but the ends are all the same on the lines so after some finagling I got the 98 model lines to work on the 80's booster.. So far I'm into the setup for about 80$ between booster and petal setup. Rest is pretty self explanatory other then the fact if your running a regular power steering pump you have to T the drain for the booster into the return for the power steering sector to the pump line. So now onto the pics..
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
monte0185

Re: Hydraboost Install

Oh and also figured out why my brights were just floppin in the breeze when you tried to use the turn signal switch to turn them on.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:09 AM   #3
77 Big 10

Very cool.
77 Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Big 10 View Post
Very cool.
Thanks!! Its been done a bunch on here I'm sure but never hurts to have another one to search and see what parts are interchangeable.