The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
rocketwheels

Power Brake question '68 K-10.....

...for my 2nd question.....this truck was manual 4 wheel drum, but now has a power booster and what looks like the original master cylinder and proportioning valve pushing the 4 wheel drum set up. Like the steering, this is also super sensitive. The pedal travels quite far before there seems to be "assisted" application of the brakes....just a touch more pressure and the rear brakes lock up.

I'm an old pro at replacing, adjusting and maintaining 4 wheel drum brakes, I'm just not confident about this "conversion". I'm really interested in fully converting to disc brakes on the front, and I am willing to purchase one of those fully matched Booster/cylinder/prop valve combos.....just need to know from what donor vehicles I could scrounge the spindles . I assume they would be different than the one currently on the truck.

I guess if anyone may have an interchange guide or a link to one online, I could find a bit more about correct combos.

Thanks in advance for info . Steve
rocketwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
66_k10_manny

Re: Power Brake question '68 K-10.....

I'm experiencing some of the same problems. . .I have the same set up as your truck except I swapped the front axle from a 78 p/u with disc brakes. I have a brand new proportioning valve and my rear wheels seem like they lock up too easy. My pedal travels almost to the floor board. The brakes begin to grab at about a third of the way down and grab at full force at 2 thirds. Heres the thread I had for my project, its got lots of useful info you might be able to use. . . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=400141
66_k10_manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
rocketwheels

....I bled mine at the master cylinder and there was alot of air in the system, it is a little better now, but not what I'd call good. I'm probably going to buy an all new matched "power / drum brake / with proportioning valve" set up for this year model from one of the aftermarket companies and then go thru the entire brake system from shoes and hardware thru the wheel cylinders and flex and hard lines all the way to the proportioning valve. I'd just feel better knowing I layed hands on all this stuff.

I've got to buy all new parking brake cables from the splitter on back, so it'll all be like new. Glad that all this stuff is available....thats why I abandoned my old Fords and Dodges.....I still love them , just fed up with the high cost of the parts you can find...and everything you cant !

I don't mind drums, they work just fine as long as you adjust them every so often. I don't want the expense and effort of changin the entire front axle assembly.

Thanks for the link, I've been reading your expoits, thats a great looking truck....thats really what I was looking for when I found this one !
rocketwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
66_k10_manny

My pedal feel got a lot better after I was able to get all the air out of the system. My lines werent properly bleeding cause I had leaks at most of my fittings and were sucking air. I had the hardest time making my own double flares but got em done.
66_k10_manny is offline   Reply With Quote