The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Davetopay

Some leaf spring tech for off roaders and tinkerers...

http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

I was looking around for possible junkyard swap front springs for my truck, and I came across this little gem.

Don't know if anyone will actually use it, but I found it interesting.

For instance...

a 67-72 front leaf pack is 44 inches long, with the mounting point exactly mid length, or 22". The rated capacity for a k10/k15 is 1110lbs, width is 2.5" and has 0 arch.

Interestingly enough 76-86 CJ Jeeps could be had with a 44 inch long, 2.5" wide rear leaf spring with 7 main leaves and 2 helpers, has a half way axle mount like the GM spring, and a rated capacity of 1200lbs. These have a positive arch.

I'd have to get my hands on an actual spring to measure how much lift this would be worth, but it seems viable. Probably at least 4 inches of lift.

Your thoughts are welcome.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
jrdv

Re: Some leaf spring tech for off roaders and tinkerers...

That is interesting! I think this link should be made into a linky for the 4x4 section. There is a lot a good info that I have not seen in one place before.

For instance, I recently bought a 1962 short stepside chevy 4x4, and there are no aftermarket lifts offered for these older trucks. With the provided link, I might possible find another lift that may fit this truck. I have too many projects in front of this one, but I will be referencing this link for info.

Thanks for posting it..

John
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Davetopay

Re: Some leaf spring tech for off roaders and tinkerers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdv View Post
That is interesting! I think this link should be made into a linky for the 4x4 section. There is a lot a good info that I have not seen in one place before.

For instance, I recently bought a 1962 short stepside chevy 4x4, and there are no aftermarket lifts offered for these older trucks. With the provided link, I might possible find another lift that may fit this truck. I have too many projects in front of this one, but I will be referencing this link for info.

Thanks for posting it..

John
It could be that you will need to have some made for your truck.
check here:
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote