The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
72 GMC Longstep

Barn find 1972 GMC Survivor ex-RCMP truck

Well its not truly a barn find, cause it was actually in a shed....and I didn't really "find" it because I knew where it was. But it is defintely a survivor!

I thought I would introduce myself and my truck. This truck has been in our family since 1975ish. It was purchased by my late Grandfather from the RCMP in Regina, Saskatchewan somewhere around 1975 as far as I can figure out. My Grandpa bought the truck for use around the farm in Saskatchewan so it saw limited use and was never winter driven after we purchased it. The truck was promised to me when I turned 16 back in 1982 but I never took advantage of that offer back then as I wanted a musclecar (which I still have too!). This probably saved the truck as I would have somehow hotrodded it or something (not sure how you hotrod a 3/4 Ton longbox stepside, but I would have figured something out back then!) This was also the first vehicle I ever drove.

The truck was used in the summers, but somewhere around 1990 the truck wasn't really needed around the farm and was left in the shed till a few weeks ago. I brought it back to Alberta to get it road worthy and enjoy it with my kids.

So what I have is a 74,000 original mile 1972 C2500 Longbox stepside. It is a 350 auto, 4:10 dana truck. It is still wearing its original paint, engine\, etc, etc. It is mostly untouched and has 74,000 miles on it. Likely most miles were put on before we bought it in '75. I plan to drive it this summer, and have been working on cleaning the gas tank out etc. It runs nice as it always did, once I cleaned the carb, fuel lines and tank out.

The first part of its life was kind of interesting. It was used as an undercover RCMP truck. The RCMP officer was our neighbour (in Regina) and he would investigate stolen cattle at farms and auctions. He would pose as a farmer and this was his "farm" truck. I remember sitting in the truck when it was nearly new (I was 7) and seeing the hidden police radio attached to the inside of the glovebox door. There was also an auxilary fuel tank mounted on the driver's side step on the box. I guess the cruising range was poor with the 4:10 gears! I think he had a topper on it as well, but I can't remember exactly. It was even involved in a few chases - the rear bumper was supposeivly bent in one chase. I have the RCMP officer's name and I plan to try and contact him, I think he is retired now, but maybe I can get a few stories!

Anyhow here are a few pictures of how I found it and after I put the Ford 8 lug rims on it - I got the idea from this site ---Thanks JoesJunk I used your idea!
Attached Images

72 GMC Longstep is offline   Reply With Quote