The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Best Winter (Snow/ice) Traction Tires???

Ok, so here's one for all my Northern States and Canadian buddies....

Because of some issues with our daily driver ('92 Pathfinder), it looks as if I may be pressing the old girl into some action this winter. With the 2wd, it's a bit of a challenge up here, so I thought I might invest in some good winter traction tires for the rear, to replace the all-season. I have a number of spare 15" wheels laying around, so I would be mounting these as "winter only" tires.

So, any suggestions here? These do not need to be pretty or high performance - just good winter snow and ice traction. I was thinking I may even go studded. Econony would be good too.

For all my Canuck buddies... Does CT sell anything worth buying?

Oh yeah, before anyone says it, I know some weight in the box will also help.

Thanks,

bowtie:
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Re: Best Winter (Snow/ice) Traction Tires???

You may also want to try the Tirerack on-line site and search for snow tires for your specific size. They include a review from buyers for the tires listed. While I in the tire store a couple of weeks ago, folks were coming in and getting an extra of wheels for winter driving. They were having the shop install studs on the tires. Sounds like a good idea if they're only going to used for winter driving.

I remember reading an article years ago (before the influx of front-wheel drives, all-wheel drives and SUVs) that cautioned drivers from weighing down the rear of their vehicle for the sake of traction. The explanation was that the extra weight may help with traction but it also increases the momentum of a moving vehicle which increases the stopping distance.

I know what you mean by 'challenge'.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
The explanation was that the extra weight may help with traction but it also increases the momentum of a moving vehicle which increases the stopping distance.
wow, never thought of that...

you could use a set of these, although not very streetable!

75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
bigarmzz

well i practically live in alaska here in west virginia.....the snow here is awful

i always run (on my DD beater car) wintermaster's or polar trax...

on my trucks in the winter, i think IMO, the best i've used in the snow is BFG all terrain's
Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Blizziaks are well worth the money. But be careful when driving with them. You'll have twice the stopping ability as compared to most vehicle behind you, and its very easy to get rear ended. Go for a set of tall, skinny tires, they have a smaller contact patch, and as such, greater traction.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
84 400
Sb 400 club

well i can't help you to much ..... cause my 84 goes away for the salt and snow. However my boat building teacher runs wild spirit studded tires on his and he gets threw it all. he also runs 8 5 gallon buckets of sand which he makes us fill it is a pain in the a$$. ha ha he has a 92 gmc 2wd and just rins the studs on the back. My 85 has a set of trail maxx or some thing on it they are brand new and seem to do just fine i was thinking of studds but since i am selling her i will just throw some weight in the back. 2wd is fun in the snow when you want to spin around but can be a royal pain when u are just daily driving. But it is all in how you drive and remebering that it is easy to slip but i am sure you will have no problom. good luck man i hate to see thease trucks out in the salt but you giot to do what you got to do. have you looked into buying a winter beater from an auction. my freind got a 90 jeep with high miles and a 5 speed for 125 bucks at an autioin last week. any ways let us now what you end up doing.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
MorePower

I have cooper snow ice tires on wifes and are far better than my michelin X-ice tires or norditracs I have used.Just my 2 cents. Trust me as a Canadian, I have expereince in da snow!!!!
MorePower is offline   Reply With Quote