The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
centexan

Project Resurrection

Ok guys, after wanting a k5 for years. I finally got one. Free at that. But wow...it does need some work. Talk about a project. Going to pick it up in a couple of weeks...here are some pics. They're pics from my camera phone so sorry about the quality.
Attached Images

centexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Re: Project Resurrection

I've seen them in worse shape brought back to live. My neighbor use to have a 77 like that one...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
centexan

I plan on being in it for the long haul. Seeing so many nice blazers on here really has me pumped. It's my first solo project and I'm chomping at the bit to get started. Even managed to track down a pair of doors that almost match. Brown/tan vs. brown white (paint job is a long way away).
Old 12-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
impalamark

for free great deal

looks solid don't see any rust

buy a $500 doner and getter going

keep us in the loop with lots of pics

Mark
88 chevy k5 blazer white
Life's short make the most of it
Mark aka impalmark

Last edited by impalamark; 12-26-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: i'm a terrible typist
impalamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Free is the best way... What are your plans with it?
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
centexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Free is the best way... What are your plans with it?
Well immediate plans are to get it put back together. It's been sitting in a field for about8-9 years and consequently has been picked over. So, I need to start putting together what it's missing. In the same field are 3 other chevy's from that era and I spent part of this afternoon robbing stockpiling. I noticed today that it had factory cruise. I wouldn't mind getting that working again. I want to get it running and use it play for awhile. No change of color or repaint. Love the color combo and patina. Eventually, 3/4 ton suspension, overdrive transmission, redone interior (love the seat setup in tv's blazer) and maybe a cummins 4bt or another 350 with TBI. Either way, I think the color will always be the same. So as it sits now, I am scrounging parts because it is almost barebones. It has a 350 that needs to be gone through and the tranny and transfer case are there as well as the driveshafts. I looked at the tailgate today and everything seems to be there except that the glass was broken out. Any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thinking custom built rear bumper, front bumper and grill guard from a CUCV and some kind of rack built over the cab. Sorry if I rambled too much, but still floating ideas around the old cabeza. One guestion. Did chevy (or GMC) ever make 16" 6-lug rims that would fit this K5? Thanks for the imput and I will definately keep the board posted with pics as they come available.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
bigblazerboy

that's in pretty good condition but how are the floors? i will be watching this one because im trying to pick up a 78 k5
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
centexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
that's in pretty good condition but how are the floors? i will be watching this one because im trying to pick up a 78 k5
Pretty good so far. I won't know for sure until I get it home and yank out all of the carpet. I did pull up one corner and it seemed solid underneith, but who knows. I love the body style and was considering a newer front clip, but I ruled that out. Love the look of these.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

id keep it a 77 nose, i love the 73-78 fronts (not a fan of the 79-80 eyebrows)

Looks like a good project, more pictures hah.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
dammitmitchell
the pollock

i wouldnt complain if you dropped that off in my backyard..
the part i noticed is the rear quarters are straight that's a good score..
front fenders need love..
but the big seller is that the rears are in good shape..
good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
bigblazerboy

if im not mistaken its a 77 because of the yellow trim wich is pretty rare?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
if im not mistaken its a 77 because of the yellow trim wich is pretty rare?
its a 77 becuase its obviously not a 75 gmc gentlemen jim lol. one year only really yellow trim, ex the 75 jim.

Ill take those lowbacks off your hands haha.

My name tag says Ryan

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 12-28-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
centexan

Speaking of the rare trim, is it possible to even get it anywhere. I have the trusty LMC catalog, but I don't see it in there. I went and looked at it again today and noticed that it has an aux gas tank with the filler in the driver's side rear wheel well. I need to take some more pictures of it so that maybe ya'll can help me identify it. Also had the factory vacumn cruise control, but doubt it works... we'll see. Have more pics soon. Thanks for input guys.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
bigblazerboy

untill 78 they had the cap on the body. after that they had a door. i would definently pick this k5 up. i dont think the trim is reproduced and thats why its rare and was only on 77 k5s

*edit* i have never seen that before with the filler. post up some pictures, i cant think of why they would do that

Last edited by bigblazerboy; 12-28-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
centexan

trying to upload the pic but it won't let me. The factory tank is there with the cap on the body. This one us kinda "L" shaped and fits between the frame and edge of the body almost under the door frame. It has a pipe jutting out with a metal cap and a length of chain welded to it. As for the blazer itself, it is mine already. I have to finish cleaning out the garage and replace some parts that where scavanged over the years. Namely a new master cylinder, brake booster and I also need to find some cheap tires to get it onto a trailer and unload it with.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
bigblazerboy

sounds good. not to hijack but heres the 78 im trying to get

Last edited by bigblazerboy; 12-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Looks like you got a good deal, best of luck with the project!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
centexan

Nice! At least you've got doors on yours. Is it in pretty good shape? What's keeping you? Take it home!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
centexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Looks like you got a good deal, best of luck with the project!
Thanks! and that is one great looking truck you have there. Always had a soft spot for that year...especially in 4x4.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #20
bigblazerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexan View Post
Nice! At least you've got doors on yours. Is it in pretty good shape? What's keeping you? Take it home!
my mom, im only 14 so im still trying to convince her. i have the money for it and all it needs is a motor. she knows i like them but i dont know y she wont let me but im going to have to tell her i will do a lot of yard work and stuff to get her to let me get it. it has 4 inch lift, sm465 tranny, im guessing a 205 with a d44 up front and 12bolt rear
Old 12-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #21
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
my mom, im only 14 so im still trying to convince her. i have the money for it and all it needs is a motor. she knows i like them but i dont know y she wont let me but im going to have to tell her i will do a lot of yard work and stuff to get her to let me get it. it has 4 inch lift, sm465 tranny, im guessing a 205 with a d44 up front and 12bolt rear
You sound like you know your stuff for a 14 year old. Good luck on getting it, im a 18 year old and ive got somewhere around 15 cars to my name haha. Helps when between you and your old man weve got 150 some, good luck on your guys builds.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 12-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #22
bigblazerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts_restoration View Post
You sound like you know your stuff for a 14 year old. Good luck on getting it, im a 18 year old and ive got somewhere around 15 cars to my name haha. Helps when between you and your old man weve got 150 some, good luck on your guys builds.
im no expert but i have been looking at build threads and reading about them for a while. i can do basic car stuff and can balance tires and mount and dimount them from the rims using the machine and some other stuff
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #23
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexan View Post
Well immediate plans are to get it put back together. It's been sitting in a field for about8-9 years and consequently has been picked over. So, I need to start putting together what it's missing. In the same field are 3 other chevy's from that era and I spent part of this afternoon robbing stockpiling. I noticed today that it had factory cruise. I wouldn't mind getting that working again. I want to get it running and use it play for awhile. No change of color or repaint. Love the color combo and patina. Eventually, 3/4 ton suspension, overdrive transmission, redone interior (love the seat setup in tv's blazer) and maybe a cummins 4bt or another 350 with TBI. Either way, I think the color will always be the same. So as it sits now, I am scrounging parts because it is almost barebones. It has a 350 that needs to be gone through and the tranny and transfer case are there as well as the driveshafts. I looked at the tailgate today and everything seems to be there except that the glass was broken out. Any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thinking custom built rear bumper, front bumper and grill guard from a CUCV and some kind of rack built over the cab. Sorry if I rambled too much, but still floating ideas around the old cabeza. One guestion. Did chevy (or GMC) ever make 16" 6-lug rims that would fit this K5? Thanks for the imput and I will definately keep the board posted with pics as they come available.

Sounds cool and thanks..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #24
centexan

Did a little more scrounging this afternoon. I have decided that I am going to try to get as many parts for free as I can. I know I will never be able to finish it that way and will have to spent way more than I want, but I think it will be fun to try. For example, today I helped a friend with a little project. He needed to pull a motor and tranny out of a truck and I got to pick over what was left. Well the truck had been sitting longer than mine so I didn't get much, BUT I did get two doors, and A/C evaporator and a blower motor. The doors and straight and need to be cleaned up but hey they're free. The blower motor was gone from my K5 as well as the A/C evaporator. It got dark on us but I am going back tomorrow to get the instrument cluster and bezel as well. Not the faux wood that I have but straight and clean and I might be able to sell it to someone who needs one or trade it for something else I need. Anyway here are some pics of my scavenged parts.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
bigblazerboy

nice those doors look nice. what are you goign to do about the trim on the doors?