The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Surfdaddy

Early GMC Automatic Steering Colom

I didn’t want to highjack the thread of the 3 on the tree, but the thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask for a while but keep forgetting. On my 61 the shift lever gets pulled in when going from neutral to drive but stays pulled in (close to the wheel) when you go down to reverse, remember this is the original shifter, neutral is where park is now and reverse is where low is, when trying to park or having to move the wheel a lot the lever is a little close for comfort. I looked at the linkage and it looks like a standard three on the tree set up. Is this true and they just got lazy when installing the automatic. It sure would be nice to have the lever more towards the dash and have extra room while parallel parking.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Early GMC Automatic Steering Colom

Surfdaddy, show us a pic if you dont mind, I know some trucks got a hydro automatic that had different placement for the gears, different that what we all typically see in a PG or TH350 and etc.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
I didn’t want to highjack the thread of the 3 on the tree, but the thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask for a while but keep forgetting. On my 61 the shift lever gets pulled in when going from neutral to drive but stays pulled in (close to the wheel) when you go down to reverse, remember this is the original shifter, neutral is where park is now and reverse is where low is, when trying to park or having to move the wheel a lot the lever is a little close for comfort. I looked at the linkage and it looks like a standard three on the tree set up. Is this true and they just got lazy when installing the automatic. It sure would be nice to have the lever more towards the dash and have extra room while parallel parking.
]

i have one of those columns. I will chck it out
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Surfdaddy

This was the only picture that shows the linkage in my archives. I’ll try and take some more later. To shift you pull the lever in, but it stays in until you get to reverse at the bottom then it will allow to go out / away from the wheel. The shift linkage is a little sticky and I may try and lube it to get it to loosen up a little. If you grip the wheel the lever seem a little close for comfort, and if you have to turn the wheel fast, hand over hand, I’m afraid I’ll get wrapped up in the lever and break it. Though its 50 years old I’m sure that hasn’t happened too often. This picture was how I got the truck. sitting since the early 90's. I looks a lot better now
Attached Images

1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
padresag

that detent is so that you couldn't pull it into reverse by accident- sort of a primitive lockout. it would only be close in reverse, so you shouldn't really be doing that much hot rodding going backwards
ron

I do have the shift linkage too if you ever need any
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote