The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
SS317

Brake Troubleshooting

I've had a brake issue I can't figure out. I thought I had it at one time but everything I try isn't working. I'm throwing it out here for any ideas that you might have.

The truck pulls to the right when braking, really bad. If you're not careful it will yank the steering wheel out of your hand. I'm scared to have my wife drive the truck because she's not physically strong enough to control it.

I have put new front drums on, the shoes are on correct, newer shoes, I've adjusted them so much that I can jack up and R&R the tires in record time.

Still she pulls to the right. When I'm in my driveway, gravel, the right front locks up and skids. The drum is adjusted loose enough on the right side that it easily slides off when the tire is off, yet it still locks up when I brake.

I have changed the brake cylinder at right wheel and nothing has changed.
I have checked each wheel with the tire off and the shoes go out and retract as they are suppose to.

Tomorrow I'm changing the two front rubber brake lines and I'm going to replace the master cylinder. I'm also going to flush the system out again, just in case.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? This has been killing me trying to figure it out. The system seems so simple.

Drums all the way around.........
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote