The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
KrazyRay

Split from Hijack Question about rear end options

I have a 72 k20 that I'm changing from 456 to 410. I have already swapped out the front d44 axle with one that has the 410 gears. The rear currently has the eaton with 456. My 2wd donor truck has a d60 in great shape with the 410 gears but would need the leaf pads moved. I have a 14 bolt in a 77 but I'm not sure of the mods needed to make work. My last option is to swap the ring gear with a 410 ring gear. My friend has a 410 eaton that is making a clicking noise and he says its no good and I can have the ring gear. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks, Ray
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Split from Hijack Question about rear end options

First, please don't HiJack another thread with something that would stand alone as it's own question. It is far easier to "keep things straight" that way.

Now, in answer to your question:

Moving leaf spring perches and/or shock brackets is a fairly simple thing in the world of fabrication/modification. So, that is probably the easiest way to go, especially since you already have the axle.
That way should work for either the D60 or the 14 bolt corp.
As far as the parts from your buddy...pass. Changing gears is a very involved process, that is not for the average guy. It is even worse when installing used gears.

If your buddy is willing to tear his apart and inspect the differential, you might be able to work something out with him....If the parts are any good. His "clicking" may very well be from a Detroit Locker, that he doesn't know is in there. If that is the case, there may not be anything wrong with it. If he is willing to sell/trade it to you, you could swap the center-section as a whole. That is a very simple thing to do, it gets you the right gears....and a locker......no cutting, no welding, a couple of hours and a few quarts of lube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote