The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Jimbabwe

Getting shafted?

Guy gave me a price on the two piece driveshaft for my bagged truck of $1,000. Is this typical? It's for 2.5" steel with a corvette yoke and a dbl u-joint, if that makes much of a difference.
A few guys told me theirs were in the $500 range. My friend ordered one online for his GT500 which was a one piece, but 3" and aluminum and he said it was almost , but not quite $700.
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
afcamaro

Re: Getting shafted?

Ive never had them cost that much. You can have your old one shortened for around $1-200. I bought a new steel offline for $250 just recently and on my camaro have a 3" aluminum for $300 awhile back. Id look around. Theres a guy on ebay that makes them to your specs and does good work for cheap. I got one from him.
afcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
big_al_71

Way too over priced..I had mine custom built to hold up to 1000hp,
which I will never have. It cost me $250.00

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Rochlow

If it's for your stepper with the PB suspension. I spoke to Delmo about building me a 2pc drive shaft with new carrier bearing and 2" spacer and he quoted me a price of about $700-750

I'd send him a message as he has specfic experience dealing with that suspension set up.
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Jimbabwe

Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Jimbabwe

Oh, and yes, it is for the stepper.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbabwe View Post
Oh, and yes, it is for the stepper.
What did u end up doing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Jimbabwe

Went with a different guy. Still local.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

If you want to drive the truck slammed the driveline angles require 2 double cardain joints on the rear shaft. Double cardain joints are expensive and shouldn't be ran at over 6* or they won't last long at all (just ask anybody with a lowered extended cab s10). They are probably just rying to cover their butt for warranty. That or they want to scare you off so they don't lose their butt on warranty.
I build driveshafts and id want quite a bit of info and to see the truck before I ever gave you a price.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Thanks. Why couldn't they use the CCP carrier bearing? i would really like to see pics of your setup when you get a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Jimbabwe

The opening in the CPP bearing was a different size than the joints or yokes used. He claimed they were "stock" and the CPP bearing was not. I said "So order the damned size that they are" . He said that was not possible.
Now if this were bikes, I would first of all have done all this myself, but if not, I would at least know plenty to be able to tell him he was full of it. But this is new to me, so...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I build driveshafts 40hrs a week. Even I won't build a shaft at home. Way too much specialized equipment involved in getting it right.

The ccp bearing is pretty (that's the only good thing I can say about them and I sell them)

The non stock stubs and yokes are cheaper and better than the original stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Jimbabwe

I had only ordered the CPP bearing because I had read things the past couple of years on the forum where bagged guys kept mentioning how they tore the stock one apart, and the billet one stayed together. You're not going to see it, so it's not like I was thinking "Oooh, fancy"
I don't like not knowing how anything is done, so once I get the info on exactly what components were used I'll run it by you and you can tell me what you think.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
brad_man_72
the boat guy

The ccp bearing holds up better to vibration, a vibration your shaft shouldn't have. A lot of people don't want to go to a shop because they can get a carrier bearing that won't break and that "fixes" the problem for about the same money as having someone put on a new factory style bearing and ballancing the shaft.

I know what you mean about wanting to know how stuff is done. Driveshaft work is a ot more complicated than most people think, we are always cooperative when we have a customer that wants to see how its done, we like showing off our skills.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

bump for pics!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Jimbabwe

Damn, that was a long time ago, but I have a couple.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Jimbabwe

BTW, didn't go with the "different guy" as he wound up being a flake who didn't know what to do with this truck setup, so the original crook was the only one who wanted to do it...yet, through the "friend" who was doing the suspension. That makes two crooks.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
brad_man_72
the boat guy

That double cardin setup up front cost some money for sure. Does it have a shudder at takeoff?
Posted via Mobile Device
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
tony58

Couldn't a shorty slammed be changed to a 1 piece shaft?
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
Any ride height short or lwb can be changed to a one piece as long as it doesn't hit the crossmember.

To get the driveline angles correct or run a one piece this truck would need a trans tunnel. He is avoiding the tunnel and using a two piece to go under the cab then up to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
mgchevyparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
Any ride height short or lwb can be changed to a one piece as long as it doesn't hit the crossmember.

To get the driveline angles correct or run a one piece this truck would need a trans tunnel. He is avoiding the tunnel and using a two piece to go under the cab then up to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brad man, seems to me I've read on here that some of these (67-72) shortys came with 1 piece and others with 2 piece, what's up with that?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

That is beautifully extreme and extremely beautiful. Great stepper!
This is Dynamic Engineering. It is Fluid Dynamics actually. The stress points change as revolutions increase and decrease. Add the different material densities and properties, apply heat and don't forget bind, twist and friction. This becomes science in NHRA, INDY, NASCAR, DELMO etc. Not many study this, Brad Man does and genius ain't cheap.
Sorry you got...got but you gotta go to the best to get the best, looks like your truck deserves that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Jimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
That double cardin setup up front cost some money for sure. Does it have a shudder at takeoff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Brad, There is no noticeable shudder that I can discern.
I mentioned in an earlier message that Nate and Dave at Porterbuilt said 5 degrees would be ideal, but 6 was the only thing attainable...possibly due to the I6 rather than everyone's familiarity with achieving 5 degrees with a V8. Maybe I should have just built a tunnel instead, although I don't weld.
We'll have to see what the longevity is like with what I'm running.
I'm attaching the list I was given by the driveshaft guy.
I asked for a receipt with parts listed and a price breakdown explaining how this adds up to $1,000, and only received this list. He then said if I wanted to see prices I would have to get it from the "friend" who was installing the suspension, because "My business is with him, and his business is with me, not you. I built the shaft for him." I informed him that it was built for ME and I was the one who paid him. My so called "friend" then responded cowardly via text that HE would also not give me a receipt for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
Tony, as Brad mentioned, I, and from what I've seen with a number of others with similarly dropped trucks, was going this route rather than building a tunnel in the cab to continue using a one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
That is beautifully extreme and extremely beautiful. Great stepper!
This is Dynamic Engineering. It is Fluid Dynamics actually. The stress points change as revolutions increase and decrease. Add the different material densities and properties, apply heat and don't forget bind, twist and friction. This becomes science in NHRA, INDY, NASCAR, DELMO etc. Not many study this, Brad Man does and genius ain't cheap.
Sorry you got...got but you gotta go to the best to get the best, looks like your truck deserves that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Reno, Thanks for the kind words. Yours is actually beautiful. I had followed your build. Mine's kinda' rough, but looks a bit cool with it's new lowering. I like how you slipped Delmo in as one of the science/engineering acronyms.

Where's HartRod? He wanted a bump for pics!
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
hellbent72

Drive shafts are pricey that's for sure just took mine down to get it built and all together its going to be 500 for my 2piece.
Shorten first shaft,3 new spicer u-joints , billet carrier bearing, slip joint and heavy duty yoke on 2 nd shaft and balanced. Didnt really want the billet bearing but the driveline shop said since I put in a slip joint the cheap carrier bearing doest hold up well with the movement/pressure of the slip joint moving back and forth.
Posted via Mobile Device
hellbent72 is offline   Reply With Quote