The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
Truck96

My 67

it is a 6cyl, 3 speed on column has power brakes, power steering and under dash air conditioner. Everything else is stock, I was wanting to put in a v-8 and a 700r4, I got the motor, trans and all brackets tilt column and cross member for it, but its too big of a job for me and I can't find anyone in this area to do it (other than a shop and I can't afford that) it is a super nice truck and if I cant find someone soon I may have to get rid of it.
Thanks
greg
Attached Images

Truck96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
swamp rat

Re: My 67

I'd take that truck even with a straight 6!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Can't you just enjoy it as it is and sell that stuff? None of what you want to do is complicated. Too bad you can't take it on. If I lived close I'd come over and help. You should be able to work something affordable or a trade off labor with the right person. That's what I do on jobs I can't handle lately (since I have had no shop for 5 or more years)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Security guy

Nice truck... You can do it, it just may be down for several weeks to do it by yourself. Take it slow and read up on how and why.. I'd come help also, but I'm several hours away.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
cooperhw

Let me get this straight. "You would get rid of that beautiful truck" because you can't immediately afford to put in a V8, etc.? You have options.
1. How about just save up a for a bit of time, and look around for someone to do the job once you have some coin saved up? That looks like a really nice starter platform, and plenty of guys will take it off your hands if waiting is not for you.
2. Another option is to dig in and get your hands dirty. Learn as you go. Youtube has videos (lots of them) on every thing you can think of. Teach yourself. I learned most of what I know the hard way by doing it wrong and then fixing it. Wish there had of been internet when I was learning. Post up your zip code and see if there isn't some members in the nearby area that might be willing to drop by from time to time and give you pointers on how to do it yourself. Usually these guys (like myself) would be glad to share knowledge, but don't want to do the heavy lifting while a truck owner plays golf somewhere else.
3. Start a "go fund me" account. H*ll they got one for every other darn thing in the world. Why not for a guy who is not happy with his trucks performance?
4. Sell it. Maybe owning and working on a classic truck is just not for you. Personally I hope you do not choose this option.

Not trying to pick on you or be a jerk, just pointing out your options as I see em.

Last edited by cooperhw; 08-20-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: error
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
michael bustamante

if i waqs closer id help you out for sure. ive gotten pretty good at these conversions.
its a very nice looking truck though. enjoy the straight six with power steer. kind of a rare option there
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
summitflier

Done a few 6 to v8 conversions myself. But Alabama is ways away from here.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Truck96

I think the pulling and installing the engine, is the easy part,, I been told that the wiring, such as back up light, neutral switch, etc ( small stuff to make sure it is done right). The guys around here just said it was a big job, to do it right,, I haven't been to a shop figured that would cost 2 grand or better, I would love to see it finished, so who know maybe one day.

Greg
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
michael bustamante

really you only have to do some wiring mods if you want to run an hei and an alternator with internal regulator. even then we have all the info to do this on this website and its actually pretty easy and straightforward
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like you spoke with some guys who don't know anything about these trucks. Not saying you couldn't spend $2k, but I wouldn't pay whoever you're talking to to learn how to work on these trucks. You could do that yourself for free.

It's hard to convince most knuckleheads these days, but it all still holds true and always will...

Patience is a virtue

Good things come to those who wait

Anything worth having is worth waiting for

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
enigma

First off beautiful truck!!!! Second you can easily do this yourself. The only thing that will keep your truck down more than 3-4 days is getting the drive line shortened.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
EARNHARDT#3

Don't molest that beauty and put in a V8. Keep the 6 and be different. If you're going to put in an incorrect engine go for an LS.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck96 View Post
it is a 6cyl, 3 speed on column has power brakes, power steering and under dash air conditioner. Everything else is stock, I was wanting to put in a v-8 and a 700r4, I got the motor, trans and all brackets tilt column and cross member for it, but its too big of a job for me and I can't find anyone in this area to do it (other than a shop and I can't afford that) it is a super nice truck and if I cant find someone soon I may have to get rid of it.
Thanks
greg

What in the world makes you think you need to do all of that stuff???? Just drive it the way it is now. Then later down the road do it a little at a time.

I have a '67 with an inline and I love it. I put an S-10 5 speed overdrive trans in it when I had the time and money and that made it even more fun to drive.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
pwdcougar

My 68 Suburban was a 6 with a 4 speed and it was a blast to drive. One thing about the 3 speed on the column; very few people will know how to drive it so the chances of it getting stolen are greatly reduced!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
TexasLS1

Man that truck is beautiful, and those wheels - mmmm mmm! Don't get rid of that truck if you dont have to. If it's your DD, just drive the heck out of it until you can find a good shop or can get the work done with help. If it's not your DD, you can always start the work yourself and take your time. My mods and projects always take longer than I anticipate, and that's ok.

If I may ask, why do you feel you need to sell it if you can't do the work soon? And do you have some more pics of it?
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks
greg
Nice Truck, You got a good start there don't F**k it up LOL, I'd trade you but I have a 68 C10 with a small block & 700R4 with some pretty bogus Past Owners installs that Iam fixing. The joy is in saying " I did the work all my self " with a little help. I am 63 yrs old and I am doing it my self,***if thats not a pep talk for you then sell it I am sure there is about 50 or 60 people on this site that will take the truck off your hands if you don't want to get a little dirty! ! !
Here is some things to chew on
Attached Images

mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #17
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Ya not sure I would get rid of it just because you cant stuff a v8 in it...Nice lookin truck- unless the engines wore out I would just drive it and be happy/
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #18
Truck96

Thanks for the compliment guys, it is a really nice truck and it would be a dream come true if I can get the v-8 overdrive in it. It is not my DD and I don't have to sell so I may keep a few more years to see what I can do. I will attempt to post some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Are you familiar with any other members in your area? Not sure what part of the state you're in, but I know there are members who get together probably somewhere close. If you don't already, start socializing and next thing you know you may find a bunch of friendly members in your driveway with tools and ambition

Tim

Old 08-21-2015, 01:52 AM   #20
Mmorgan32

Pulling and engine is really easy. As for a 3ott I know nothing about them so I can't comment on that I have always thought they were cool tho. If you are worried about the wiring they sell every single wiring harness ever made for these trucks and you could just buy the v8 harnesses and the 700r 4 I would assume would be maybe one wire if that. The biggest expense since you already have the engine and tranny is an exhaust system. Pull the front flip off and just start taking **** apart but label and bag every part! And don't forget to get a bigger radiator and the correct motor mounts
Old 08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
cooperhw

Quote:
I think the pulling and installing the engine, is the easy part,, I been told that the wiring, such as back up light, neutral switch, etc ( small stuff to make sure it is done right). The guys around here just said it was a big job, to do it right,, I haven't been to a shop figured that would cost 2 grand or better, I would love to see it finished, so who know maybe one day.

Greg
I think the problem you are having is looking at it as a total "Big Job". Think about it as 15 little jobs. Each taking it's own time and doable. I used to think wiring a vehicle was a huge job, but running one wire was no problem. My wiring guy said if you can run one wire do it. when you get done, run another.
make a list of "everything" you want to do to your truck and then tackle one job, then move on to the next. YOU CAN DO IT.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #22
swamp rat

My guess being somone that has never done the conversion is he probably need to to find and read some how too threads to learn from?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #23
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
My guess being somone that has never done the conversion is he probably need to to find and read some how too threads to learn from?
You know Swamp Rat, you are probably right on the money there. Some guys just "don't know where to start" or how to possibly "get from here to there". We should start a thread of those who would be willing to "Mentor" a newbie builder. I think it should be a one on one mentoring deal where the new guy could ask "stupid questions" without fear of being belittled or someone saying "just run a search" cause it's been discussed a thousand times before. maybe the whole mentor thing could begin through PM only, then move off site?
What do you guys think? I know I have a ton of information in my head to share and I also know there's lots of guys out there who have forgot more than I'll ever know. Some of them might want to take a newbie under their wing? I know when you are out there working on the truck and hit a roadblock it would be great to be able to pick up a cell phone and ask a question to someone you trust as opposed to getting cleaned up and going into the house and getting on the computer to ask.
Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Mmorgan32

I think that's a great idea! There are a lot of people here who have owned like 40 of these trucks and know every nut and bolt and everything that has ever been done to them. I'm on my second one so I don't know anywhere near what they do but sometimes you ask a question and someone replies "why would you ever do that to these trucks" or " you see that box at the top of your screen it's called a search box".