The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
muddpile

Side Mirror Suggestions?

What does everyone run for side mirrors on their trucks? My 72 came stock with the sport mirrors that are 4" x 6" rectangles, but they are pitted badly and one is cracked, so I need new ones and figure I might as well look at my other options as well as stock. I kind of like the look of the peep mirrors at the top of the door frame, but they look like they are pretty small and hard to see out of. Also, would I have to drill holes to mount them, or do they just clamp on? Also, are there any other nice subtle side view mirrors that would look good on a truck like mine? Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
bwright

The peep mirrors just clamp on...they look cool, but are nearly useless for rear vision.

To me, the style and use of your truck (original/modified/cruiser/tow/etc) sort of drives mirror choice. My suggestion, take a trip to the salvage yard and pick out what you like. I recently saw a truck with 92-96 F150 mirrors on it that looked pretty good.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
sdkid

Mine has the ole late '70 /early '80 ford pickup mirrors on it. They are ok I guess. There used to be a thread about mazda miata mirrors. Bisquik maybe??? I can't remember right now.

Help somebody...If you can....VanZant

We're not wrong, we're not sorry, and its probably gonna happen again. That's the truth about men.
Tracy Byrd

Member# 13924
'70 c10, 350/350
'68 c10 250/4spd
'68 c10 no eng/trans fac ps/pb/ac/at
(future father/sons project)
'48 Chevy Loadmaster
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
powell72

muddpile, which one is cracked? I need a drivers side mirror, care to sell to help fund new mirrors?

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Stainless tripods on mine.Looks ok,but are very useful.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
muddpile

I've been looking into a few options, and it looks as if the stockers are the best combination of style/usefulness out there, so looks like I will stick with them for now and upgrade once I get the bodywork done. Thanks for now!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
GreyHoundSteve

I bought a set of "m3" mirrors off ebay but wasnt able to figure a way to mount them with the vent windows so i bought a set of 4" peep mirrors from a board vendor but then later on i decided to get a one peice window kit and mount the m3's so i have a brand new set of 4" peeps i dont need. If you want them pm me and i'll let you have them cheap.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
greasemonkey

GHS, are you going to mount those to the triangle piece in the corner of the window frame? I am converting to one piece glass and was trying to figure out what mirrors would fit there.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Does anyone know a good way to remove the pitts in them?

I have heard all kinds of stories about how to remove pitting from steel and aluminum, but I've never tried it. Heard everything from baking soda and peroxide to citrus cleaners you can buy at the store.

I've got some pitts on my door handles and various trim around my truck. been wanting to get rid of it for a while.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #10
purple gas

Pitts are the pitts. On my bumper/grill & headlight bezels I used ultra fine ( 0000 ) steel wool & windex to clean the crud off the chrome. It made a world of differnce. Around many of the pitts if you look with a magnafieng glass it looks like a tiny volcano sort of. My theory is a teeny tiney hole lets moisture under the plating, and corrosive crud seems to "grow" out of the hole. Some of these barnacle like bits came off with the steel wool, some I even knocked off with a plastic scraper. A little wax, or a clear coat might help slow down the re-emergence of the corrosion? Other than that the other option is re-place, or re-plate I guess.