The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

quick help please

I have 3 days weekend and I want to use it to paint inside the cab but I have hard time to take off the instrument panel. I don't want to brake anything. I can't take off the head light and wiper nobs.Are they twised in or pushed in?. Also after loosening the panel screws, do I need to discount anything from behind first or it will slide forward a little first. Thanks
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

The headlight switch will have a small 'button' on top of the switch, but you have to reach up under the dash to get to it. YOu press that button down, then pull the knob out. (Someone will post a picture of that soon). The wiper knob is held on by a small set screw in the black part (look around the back of the knob and you'll see it.) You shouldn't have to remove the actual switches, just the knobs to get the cluster out.
Also, you have to unscrew the speedo-cable and unhook the wiring harness, and unhook the oil pressure line if you have that gauge.

(Wow, you posted the question at 10:58, and when i replied at 11:01, you were already offline)

Last edited by Putter; 03-11-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
East End K5

real easy...your knobs are not to hard. The headlight knob should be a twist off (counter clockwise I believe) . The EASIEST way to get your instrument cluster out would be to drop the steering wheel. You'll see two bolts holding an band around te steering wheel at the bottom. Just looesn (don't take out) the bolts until the Steering shaft drops about and inch or so. You'll have to disconnect the odometer connection and the oil pressure line as well. You should be able to get it out.

[B]1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RIP
1986 GMC Sierra K3500 1TON, Long Box, V8350 RIP
1980 Chevy Silverado C30 Cab and Chassis, 454 TH400HD. RIP
[B] 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2D [B]
East End K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
cdowns

wiper knob is held on by a small setscrew
headlight knob, theres a knob on top of the switch(in back of the dash) that you have to push down while pulling the shaft and knob straight out,battery should be disconnected
you should disconnect speedo cable and wiring harness plug and fiber optic cable to shift indicator and ground wire
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks guys. I'll try it.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote