The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2002, 12:30 AM   #1
Zkast
Account Suspended

Post Titles? How to swap parts and still be able to tag it.

I'm about to start piecing a truck together. Frame from here... cab from there... so on so forth. I'm curious as to what part is attached to the title. I know the vin tag is on the cab and must match that but what other things should I be concerned about?

Also, what if you are replacing a cab and the cab you bought doesnt have a title?

Just thought I would ask you guys before waiting on the phone for 2 hours trying to call Kansas DMV.

------------------
Pictures and more...
piston@zkast.com
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB
Special options? Yes, RUST... Need some?
------------------------------------------
Webmaster/Team owner
www.zkast.com
Garrett - Olathe, Kansas
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 06:38 AM   #2
Huck

Angry

ZKast---Understand your problem. Bought a Jimmy from a board member who promised a "clean title". Unfortunately he neglected to mention the VIN plate was missing, the frame #s didn't match the title nor did the block. So I have a piece of paper that is useless.
Some states will issue a new VIN number which take a lot of time and cost $150. here. Especially a pain when you buy the vehicle from a different state!! Other options is to buy a VIN plate and matching title from someone and remount the VIN plate (not legal but doable and happens all the time). Some guys want $100-200. just for the Title and Vin plate. Need to make sure the vehicle was not "totalled" or changed to "Salvage" with the DMV before you lay out the bucks for the Title and VIN or you are back to square 1.
This is not fun!

------------------
72 Cheyenne, 350, 5spd, LWB, Super trim.
71 GMC JIMMY 4X4 --needs stuff-!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:36 AM   #3
Desert Rat

Well to do it correctly here,you must have a title for the frame in use,and for the cab.and then go get them inspected.Make sure to bring any reciepts for motor etc,cause they will check that too,or if keeping for yourself.Dont worry about frame numbers,and use a vin tag that you have a title for,not legal but dont tell anyone,aslong as your not using stolen parts so what,it might be illegal,but in AZ you know what so is spitting on the sidewalk,and get this pulling a car in your driveway nose first is also illegal-NO Sh!t,Or you can do what i do,i search for 67 GMC frames-they DO NOT have vin numbers on them,both frames i have the one under my 69 GMC(you shoulda seen the inspectors looking for it-they gave up,on their backs,had mirrors,it was great!!!also the 67 im building is a no vin frame.But do your self a favor dont try to cover up the numbers thats a big no no.numbers are on the driver side frame horn,and under cab on driver side(need a mirror for that one)if you bondo over them,or weld they will find it if inspected,and your truck wont be yours anymore.Note 67 frames are fatter upfront,so if running a bb the frame needs to be notched like the 68 ups for towers to fit.Do yourself a big favor take it in to be inspected in 1 color.They wouldnt inspect mine without reciepts cause it was built outta many different color trucks,what did i do?drove straight to auto store gallon of primer,thinner,scotchbrite,came home gave good scrub down in the driveway turned it gray primer,drove it back,primer hardly dry got it AZ titled.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
supercheyenne

Make sure the title matches the vin plate on the cab door. They will also check your motor in Kansas, but the guy probably won't have a clue where to look and give up. They will glance down at the frame from under the hood, but they probably won't see a number. The officer who inspected mine (I bought it in Oklahoma) didn't know much about cars, I told him the motor was probably a replacement anyway and he just signed off on it. Later I found out the motor was the original, but I didn't want him scraping paint off of stuff just to see a number that I was going to change anyway (I swapped motors).

So what I'm saying in a nut shell is make sure the cab vin matches the paperwork and your probably safe in Kansas. If you have the title for the frame, take it along too incase he happens to check the frame. I wouldn't worry about the motor at all. A 30 year old vehicle isn't likely to have it's original motor and they know that.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

I guess what I can hope for is to find a cab in KS with a title. They dont inspect if its a in-state title. But, if its from any other state they do a inspection of the #'s. Funny thing in KS is, they charge you 10.00 cash only to come out, look at the vin in the cab... match the #'s then your done lol. How about that for a day job!

I'm just really worried that the frame im buying is going to be useless just because of a title

------------------
Pictures and more...
piston@zkast.com
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB
Special options? Yes, RUST... Need some?
------------------------------------------
Webmaster/Team owner
www.zkast.com
Garrett - Olathe, Kansas
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:33 AM   #6
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

I HOPE HERE IN PA AS LONG AS I GET A CAB WITH A TITLE I WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM! I AM BUYING A 68 SHORT FRAME FORM DEV IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS AND I ALSO HAVE A 71 LONG COMPLETE TRUCK AND WILL BUILD A SHORT WHEEL ABSE TRUCK OUT OF THE TWO? I WILL NO DOUBT BUY A CAB FROM PAUL WHEN THE TIME COMES WITH TITLE! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD WORK OUT FOR ME? I HOPE?

------------------
Charles W. Hein
S. Williamsport PA

imaindianoutlaw@yahoo.com

REFRIGERATION TECH

1968 Rolling chassis swb
1971 Rolling chassis lwb

FOR SALE
1963 Pontiac Tempest 2 dr
1956 Pontiac 2 dr complete for parts

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:33 PM   #7
chucks70

In WV they want titles to the frame and cab, a Deputy Sheriff is supposed to look and make sure the # match. Some also want bill of sale along with title. This is holding me up on buying a 68 1 ton. Been about 3 months now trying to get the title clear. New title is called an Assembly Title. They don't care about the engine#
Old 05-25-2002, 09:44 PM   #8
mikep
Used to have a truck

n Washington they used to do a highway patrol inspection when you brought in a
vehicle from out of state . Budget cuts have cut that out at least where I'm at thank
God. If you try to retitle a totalled vehicle though you need receipts for everything or
the bastards won't sign off on it. I had nothing but heartache once trying to retitle
my own car after my ex wife "totalled' it. The highway patrol guy with the stupid hat
wanted to throw me in jail when I asked him why he didnt develop some skills and get
a real job.

------------------
1968 C20 with steel crank , 4340 scat rods, 10:1 compression, WP Sportsman heads , Air gap intake , Edelbrock 800 EPS carter clone carb. Close Ratio 4 speed, power steering, power brakes, Factory AC , 3.73 Dana 60 .
Old 05-25-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Other options is to buy a VIN plate and matching title from someone and remount the VIN plate (not legal but doable and happens all the time). Some guys want $100-200. just for the Title and Vin plate.
That's why most of the time with these trucks, if it's ever stolen, it's gone. Even if they *don't* part it out, it's really easy for them to do the vin plate deal. There's a reason it's not legal, and if they do catch you doing it, you can get some nice jail time. Same for selling the vin plates.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote