The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
never ending project

brake conversion/ lowering kit

who has the best quality/ price on disk brake conversions and lowering kits for a 70 model ??? Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: brake conversion/ lowering kit

http://www.earlyclassic.com/
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

X2
ece.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Yup...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
russgoodman

ECE will also package the 2 kits together to save you from buying 2 sets of drop spindles. You will have to call or email them as its not on their website.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Agent915

I bought my parts from Travis at ProPerformance. Everything was just as he said it would be and when I had a question, he was ready, willing and able to answer it. Can't beat that in my opinion!!

Danny
Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
outlaw 3454

when i did mine i called them ece and all the rest... wound up buying it all off ebay from cpp cheaper than all the rest and that was getting a 'bundle' price or kit form it was even cheaper than cpp price it, reason on ebay alot of their or most of it has free freight.
do your homework check the prices
good luck
Old 06-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
fast&low

Cool Re: brake conversion/ lowering kit

X2
CPP Grand slam Kit everything you need in one kit one order not 2-3 kits put together!! And made & sold by them here in the US not China!!
Ask the other guys if they make there own spindles & springs & after they tell you no ask who & where
Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&low View Post
X2
CPP Grand slam Kit everything you need in one kit one order not 2-3 kits put together!! And made & sold by them here in the US not China!!
Ask the other guys if they make there own spindles & springs & after they tell you no ask who & where
CPP sells plenty of low quality Chinese stuff throughout their product line. And, yes, their spindles are US made, because they're made by the same foundry that makes Western and ECE spindles. Half the time when you open a box of CPP spindles they're just Western spindles in a CPP box. The name is cast right there into them.

ECE suspension parts are made in the US so don't throw those rocks at them.

Now, let's talk about those horrible Chinese made tilt columns that CPP is selling.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
never ending project

thanks for the help guys. I'm just getting started on my first build three years in the making.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
fast&low

Yeah you bought the cheap ones I only buy modular made by then.
Everybody sells Chinese parts in one way or the other even ece I'll bet you anything whether it be brake hoses, steering columns or those cheap spindle you bought.
And I never mentioned ece but if the shoe fits wear it
Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Yeah you bought the cheap ones I only buy modular made by then.
Everybody sells Chinese parts in one way or the other even ece I'll bet you anything whether it be brake hoses, steering columns or those cheap spindle you bought.
And I never mentioned ece but if the shoe fits wear it
You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, those are CPP boxed spindles. Yes, they are Western rebrands. Yes, Western is made in the USA. Western makes spindles for ECE too. See, I was admitting that some of their stuff is US made, right on the same line as ECE spindles. Therefore, throwing rocks at others for non US made products isn't valid.

Go ahead, push CPP as the best place to buy from. Maybe the original poster will wind up being yet another burned customer. The review board section of this site is like a train wreck for CPP complaints. Time and again people buy and get burned by them. Hell, CPP had an employee join this board just to address issues and try to fix problems. That didn't go well. Haven't seen him here much anymore.

I'm out. Spend your money as you see fit. I've been buying from a early Classic since the mid 90s and lowered a pile of trucks with their parts over the years. Perfect every time. I'll keep sending my dollars over there.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
67ctener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, those are CPP boxed spindles. Yes, they are Western rebrands. Yes, Western is made in the USA. Western makes spindles for ECE too. See, I was admitting that some of their stuff is US made, right on the same line as ECE spindles. Therefore, throwing rocks at others for non US made products isn't valid.

Go ahead, push CPP as the best place to buy from. Maybe the original poster will wind up being yet another burned customer. The review board section of this site is like a train wreck for CPP complaints. Time and again people buy and get burned by them. Hell, CPP had an employee join this board just to address issues and try to fix problems. That didn't go well. Haven't seen him here much anymore.

I'm out. Spend your money as you see fit. I've been buying from a early Classic since the mid 90s and lowered a pile of trucks with their parts over the years.

Perfect every time. I'll keep sending my dollars over there.
I think your talking about Jeff... He seemed like a stand up guy through the board so after a string of bad luck with cpp I figured I'd go straight to Jeff. He gave me a board discount along with there current free shipping offer. When I checked my account $150 more had been added to the original total. I called Jeff and he said he was unable to combine offers. It's one thing when you call explaining the situation and another when you say screw it and just pull the money. I have close to 4k into cpp products (shame on me) but I don't think there is anything good I can say about the company. Ece all the way they go above and beyond 10/10 rating IMO
Old 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
fast&low

Lol are you salty?
And yeah I remember you already told me you work on no mail trucks for a living.
Don't forget to torque that spindle nut it could warp your rotors
Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Lol are you salty?
And yeah I remember you already told me you work on no mail trucks for a living.
Don't forget to torque that spindle nut it could warp your rotors
To be specific I worked on mail trucks for 7 years. I've been with the fire department for the last 13 years. Best of luck with your project.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
fast&low

Firefighter the gentleman asked for a recommendation & I gave him one
In my opinion CPP is a good parts provider in your opinion it's not and you have that right just like you need to learn that I have the right to my opinion.
CPP offers a cheap spindle and the good modular ones.
CPP offers the cheap steering column ($300) & the good Ididit column ($600).
If you want to pinch pennies on your truck don't get mad at them for selling you cheap parts they give you the option at the end it's your choice.
A $300 difference on a part should've brought up a flag?
Good luck with your project and please be careful cheap steering and suspension parts are dangerous remember you get what you pay for.

Lol every time I see my mailman I remember you

P.S. Please stop trolling me if you see me post something or comment on something just quietly move on this board is full of opinions and we all have that right.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Fast&Low...
Fwiw... we dont bait people on this site. Its poor manners. Texas Firefighter has be a good paid member on here for !! 11 years. He has helped alot of people. Thats how its done. Just sayin.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
leddzepp

I have all CPP stuff under my truck and zero complaints, very good quality parts...BUT I live 30 mins. from their shop and buy everything at the counter. If I lived out of state and had to mail order my parts, I would buy from ECE because I have NEVER heard of any issues with their shipping. Like TXFF said, take a look at the review board and you will see it is a nightmare with CPP when it comes to shipping.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
fast&low

Tom firefighter & myself have a past on another one of my opinions he seems to think that he's the only one with a valid opinion why I don't know?
The last time I simply told him I did not want to argue and walked away.
This time I got fed up & jumped right on the boat with him and rode the waves with him.I mean Jesus why must he knocked down all my opinions is this guy going to troll me now?
If you read my post I asked him to stay away does that look like somebody that wants to pick a fight?
I'm sure he has helped a lot of people but he is not helping me so he needs to move on.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
leddzepp

Lightbulb Re: brake conversion/ lowering kit

Quote:
Tom firefighter & myself have a past on another one of my opinions he seems to think that he's the only one with a valid opinion why I don't know?
The last time I simply told him I did not want to argue and walked away.
This time I got fed up & jumped right on the boat with him and rode the waves with him.I mean Jesus why must he knocked down all my opinions is this guy going to troll me now?
If you read my post I asked him to stay away does that look like somebody that wants to pick a fight?
I'm sure he has helped a lot of people but he is not helping me so he needs to move on.
You need to move on. TX stated his opinion, as well as many facts. He is not trawling you at all...disagreeing is not trawling. You also stated your opinion and now it is time for you to quietly move on. I do not agree with him all of the time either, but I do not bait him or hold anything against him for it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
fast&low

You obviously didn't read the full post to see who is baiting who but any way who cares & yeah move on yourself also
Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #22
Tx Firefighter

Lets regroup.

First, Fast&low, you're wrong if you think I'm stalking you to refute your posts. I didn't even realize you were the member I'd argued with before. You've only got 89 posts at this point and you haven't been active enough here for me to recognize your name yet. There's like 100k plus members here, they mostly all run together except for a few that have been here a lot and a long time.

Now, back to the issue at hand. The original poster is new here and he's asking a very basic question. Guys who have been around and done this stuff a good while are well familiar with ECE, CPP, and all the rest. His basic question leads me to believe he's very much a newbie in this area.

So, that said, I feel compelled to give him advice that's most likely to give him pleasant results. It's pretty much a given fact that CPP struggles with customer service issues. The only way I could in good conscience recommend someone ordering from them would be to do it through a middle man like Summit, who will give rest to any concerns you might have about being taken care of after the sale. But, I can recommend ECE without hesitation because they set the standard for customer service. It would truly bother me if I pointed someone at a particular vendor and he wound up having a bad experience. It might sour the guy to the whole old truck hobby. Statistically I can rest assured that ECE will offer him better service than CPP.

I've seen a trend on this board (Fast&low this is in no way pointed at you) where guys give flippant advice without really thinking through the consequences. Somewhere out there, there's some guy asking for help and if he gets a bum steer, he's the one left with the results, not the guy giving answers on the board. Imagine if I pop off a wrong answer and the guy asking the question takes it for a good one. Then he spends his hard earned money on something that doesn't work. I owe it to the guy on the other end of the internet to give well documented and proven answers. That's the reason I have about 10k pictures (and growing every day) in my photobucket accounts which I have personally taken and which I draw from to illustrate my answers to various questions. I've been fortunate to meet many, many members from here in person. It's well over 50 in number, maybe towards 100. It has made me realize that there is a real live human being on the other end who saves and struggles and has old truck dreams just like me. I owe it to those guys to steer them in a positive direction with answers that are most likely to offer sound results. And I can't in good conscience recommend CPP after having seen so many guys get heartbroken with poor shipping, excessive backorders, wrong parts shipped, defective parts, missing hardware and all the rest of the laundry list.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Well said.
And it's takes a lot of time to write detailed answers with pics and links to vendors.
I use to answer the same questions over and over.
The idea was that everyone would become knowledgeable and more people would answer repetitive questions.
But it seems like the same people are the only ones that try to help.
And I commend you guys.

Too many members jump on here just to get an answer to their question.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #24
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Good luck to the OP of this thread.
Let us know how your project turns out.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Well said.
And it's takes a lot of time to write detailed answers with pics and links to vendors.
I use to answer the same questions over and over.
The idea was that everyone would become knowledgeable and more people would answer repetitive questions.
But it seems like the same people are the only ones that try to help.
And I commend you guys.

Too many members jump on here just to get an answer to their question.
Dialog on here with other people helps me as much as it ever helps them. I'm very much a loner. I think the proper term is socially awkward. I don't hang out with folks in real life much because I'm not good at it. Talking with folks on here gives me truck buddies at a comfortable distance. I can work all by myself all day in my shop, which is the way I like it. But when I want, my buddies are right there, on the other side of the screen. Plus, it helps keep me motivated when my interest in a project starts to decline. Build threads are fantastic for that purpose. It shames you into maintaining momentum on your project.