The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
my70chevyc10

Help engine wont stay started!

I need some help I have a 70 c10 SWB with a 305 in it an it runs fine smokes a little but it still runs. I dont know what is wrong but when i let the truck idel it will run till it dies. Maby 2min till it dies .It seams like it is getting to much gas an it just keeps flooding itself till it dies. The carb is a 650 edelbrock that was on the truck when i bought it. Someone said it was the timing so i went to adjust it to what it was an its wayyyyyyyyyy off the timing marks dont even line up if i move the dist so that its set to the corect timeing the engine is slugish. If i adjust it so the truck runs good the mark on the balencer is about 3in left of the whole timing tab. Any help please i live in socalif an its been to nice here not to drive my truck.

Thanks BIG JOHN

If for some reason i loose to a import...At least i can go home knowing the vehicle i drive drops girls panties...
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Help engine wont stay started!

The timing issue sound like you have the vacuum advance hooked up while timing.If you don't pull the vacuum hose and plug it your vacuum advance is changing the reading you are getting.There will be a write up in the FAQ's section that will guide you through the timing process.You may also have a harmonic balancer that has slipped on the rubber ring causing the timing mark on the balancer to be off.
The carb issue could be many things.Someone better at carbs than I(it wouldn't take much) will probably chime in.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As PanelDeland mentioned, you may have more than one issue.

The thing to do is to make sure your timing is correct first. You don't want to circumvent the carb problem by mal-adjusting your distributor.

To check your timing mark, make sure your #1 piston is at the top of the compression stroke in the cylinder. Your marks should line up at "0" or TDC. If not, make a mark on your harmonic balancer.

Check all of the vacuum lines and gaskets to make sure you don't have an air leak somewhere.

After that's done then work on the carb issue. More than likely it's junk/gunk in the bowl that will have to be cleaned out, float adjustment may be off or needle valve bad.

Last thing is to make sure you have good filters in line to keep the sediment out of the carb.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
kell490

What kind of carb do you have if its a quadjet and its been sitting a long time with old gas or the carb is worn out it needs a rebuild. Timing issues usally either backfire or wont start. Won't cause rich condition that is the carb get that fixed. If you don't have any experince with quadjets just pull it and take it to a carb rebuild place have them rebuild it. I do that when ever I get a old truck with a carb and it just starts right up when I bolt it back on. The biggest killer for a carb motor is letting them sit with fuel in the bowls it wont take long for varnish to build and in the tiny passage ways it plugs it all up. You can't get it out by pouring any cleaner in the intake or in the fuel it has to be pulled apart and cleaned in a solvent. The rebuild shops use a machine with powerful solvent that gets in there cleans it out. THey also check the shafts for play so you don't get vacuum leaks.

Last edited by kell490; 03-10-2009 at 02:17 PM.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
tim21391

check your pcv valve or whatever its called..to see if the line is connected to the carb... found out mine fell off and i had to keep my foot in mine to keep it running.... mine did what this did so thats why i thought of the line
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
tim21391

mine is a holley but still it could be the same thing
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
kell490

Holley's are a lot easier for newbe's to rebuild. I do those my self usually but everytime I have tried a qjet i end up taking down to the shop.

Last edited by kell490; 03-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I think the carb is too big for a 305. Although, the Edelbrocks are the easiest to tune. Does it fire right up without pressing the gas when it is warmed up? Does it diesel or keep running when you turn it off?

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
my70chevyc10

Engine starts up just fine when wormed up an it dosnt backfire or diesal it just wont stay running its like it is just running on the gas thats in the bowl.

If for some reason i loose to a import...At least i can go home knowing the vehicle i drive drops girls panties...
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my70chevyc10 View Post
Engine starts up just fine when wormed up an it dosnt backfire or diesal it just wont stay running its like it is just running on the gas thats in the bowl.
On your first post, you mentioned it was running rich. You can usually tell if it is by dark gray or almost black smoke coming out the exhaust.

If it's running fine until it drains the fuel in the bowl, now that's another problem. Clogged fuel filters or defective fuel pump. Those two are easy and inexpensive things to replace.

There is a possibility of clogged fuel lines and/or clogged fuel filter sock inside the tank. You just have check the fuel flow from the fuel pump to the carb. It ought to squirt a good strong stream while it's cranking over.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote