The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2024, 02:51 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Paint booth ideas

Anyone have any recommendations or pictures of paint booths to paint at home?

I have a back area in my garage that has a window on two walls that I could incorporate into a homemade booth. I was thinking of just building a booth out of 2x4's and then wrapping it in poly. I would frame out where the windows are and put some box fans in there to pull air in and push air out. Add some filters and figure out some type of make shift door to go in and out.

I'm not sure if this is overkill vs just spraying outside. I've thought about just buying a cheap car port/canopy from harbor freight to set up quick on the days I want to spray. For now, all I'm looking at is just spraying primer. If I built the paint booth, I would most likely just leave it up for a couple years while I get all the parts sprayed.

Not sure what direction I should go. What are other people doing for spraying primer? Eventually, I'm going to have to figure out if I'm going to spray color, or have a painter shoot it.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Paint booth ideas

I built a "paint booth" inside my shop ,,used clear plastic for walls and ceilings..used 2x4s to do a frame..
I bought a big box of cheap spring clamps..very useful for holding the plastic together..
I also lay plastic on the floor...
I had a old screen door that I use for my entrance ,and it doubles as the air intake for the booth..
I have 2 cyclone fans with duct that I sit outside when in use..they are loud.. inside I built 2 plywood boxes that I put cheap hvac filters in..to keep from blowing paint outside..
I change the floor plastic after each use..
All in it works pretty good..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #3
Getter-Done

Just an Idea in the Link below.

If you register you get 20% off right now.

You would be Money ahead and have something you could get part of your money back.

They do have different sizes this one is just the best deal for the size.

Link: https://www.vevor.com/inflatable-pai...p_010693190050

Name:  pb.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  43.3 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #4
Grounded63

I have a decent sized shop. And, will prime "open air". With pretty clean results, which I believe is due to the larger size. It just doesn't disturb the overall air volume of the shop. To kick up dust/lint while spraying.

If your priming in a smaller area. And, priming smaller stuff. Choke the gun up some and don't spray with it wide open. You'll disturb less of the surrounding area, and have less over spray to deal with.

I've enclosed areas with clear plastic sheeting before, for painting. If you feed your enclosure with filtered air. Any gaps or openings you've missed will be pressurized with filtered air. Rather than being able to draw in unfiltered air. And, being a plastic sheet enclosure, it'll kinda keep it inflated.

If your spraying with ISO containing clears/sealers/primer. Make sure you're getting fresh make up air. Wearing a quality respirator. And changing the filters frequently. Like every 8hrs of air exposure or less. There's a reason they come in foil lined packaging. If you leave your respirator laying on the work bench overnight. They're done for ISO protection, change the filters.

Last edited by Grounded63; Yesterday at 04:20 PM.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

Here is the space in the garage I'm talking about. It's my catch all space at the moment, but it's got a window on each wall for intake and exhaust. Plus its in the back, so it would be somewhat out of the way. I could build a 10x9 with 2x4's and just leave the thing up for a few years. Should be able to get just about anything I need to prime in there.

For the intake side, does a person put the fan up and have the filters between the window and fan? Then for exhaust, put the fan between the window and filters?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #6
ryans69chevy

Getter-done, that looks like a sweet deal and like you said, would be money ahead. If I was ready to spray the whole vehicle, I would probably get that. At this time, I dont really want to set all that up every weekend to spray primer with a piece here and a piece there. Ill have to look into that in a few years when im close to spraying color.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #7
LS short box

Maybe wouldn't work for you but on my hot rod projects I strip the parts to bare metal one at a time and have a local body shop prime them. Then store them away waiting for body work.
Couple of pics.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #8
ryans69chevy

LS - I had one of my fenders done like that. It seems like body shops aren't too interested in that. Not sure if its just not alot of money for them, or having their name on it. That's the route I originally wanted to go though. I found a good deal on a big air compressor, so I figured just save myself some money and do it myself plus I won't have to worry about trucking all the parts back and forth.
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #9
Grounded63

On the exhaust, you want filter/fan/window. You want to try to filter out the paint particles before they get on the fan. The intake probably doesn't matter much. As long as it's filtered into the room.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #10
62c30

I bought a party tent or whatever you call it. 10x20 that I might use at some point. It sets up easy and when tore down doesn't take up hardly any room. I think it was about $100. So far I have just been priming parts out on the driveway on days without wind. Although I have been looking at the inflatable paint booths too.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Inflatable is ok....till its not....saw one guy using one, his kept deflating when his breakers started tripping from current draw from fans

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:46 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Inflatable is ok....till its not....saw one guy using one, his kept deflating when his breakers started tripping from current draw from fans
That would cause a Major issue.

So a Test run on one of those (For Sure)
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote