The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
brown7373

Power Steering Pump Question

I started my 350/290 crate engine today and all seemed fine (no coolant leaks) until I went to drive it. My power steering wasn't working. This has been a lengthy process and I guess I hadn't bled the steering pump.

I muscled the steering wheel and all the fluid dumped...I think through the reservoir cap.

Question: Can I just proceed to bleed the pump or have I damaged it beyond repair?
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Power Steering Pump Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
I started my 350/290 crate engine today and all seemed fine (no coolant leaks) until I went to drive it. My power steering wasn't working. This has been a lengthy process and I guess I hadn't bled the steering pump.

I muscled the steering wheel and all the fluid dumped...I think through the reservoir cap.

Question: Can I just proceed to bleed the pump or have I damaged it beyond repair?
Not sure if it's damaged beyond repair, but the guy who rebuilt my pump and steering box says:

Power steering fluid and priming: DO NOT turn the steering wheel until the system is completely full. Use Dextron III ATF. DO NOT use clear fluids or synthetics in older systems. Tires should be on the ground. Fill the reservoir, then start the engine for a second and shut it off. Check and refill the reservoir. When the reservoir is completely full turn the engine on and turn the steering wheel SLOWLY. If you hear the pump groan or moan then turn the engine off and check the fluid again. Start the engine and slowly move the steering wheel back and forth to expel air.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
brown7373

That is pretty much what I did. I started the engine, then refilled the pump. I tried to turn the wheel back and forth with the engine running. Very difficult to turn and then it expelled most of the fluid. I think it was forced through the cap.That doesn't seem normal. I think something internal is wrong.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
geezer#99

Could be hoses are hooked up wrong.
Besides your pump woes, how did your engine break in go?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
brown7373

Engine is running fine, just in garage. With PS not working, I haven't had it on the road yet. I was surprised that the break-in instructions DO NOT include breaking in the cam like I have always done before. The instruction basically say warm it up and drive it for 30 miles or an hour and then change the oil. In that first hour, do multiple 50% accelerations to 3000 rpms and back down, then a few full throttle accelerations to 3000 rpms.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
geezer#99

Was your motor the gm 290 hp crate or a different crate with a roller cam?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
brown7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Could be hoses are hooked up wrong.
Besides your pump woes, how did your engine break in go?
I must be getting stupid in my old age, because I think I DID reverse the hoses at the steering box. Although each takes a different wrench (5/8 & 11/16) apparently the thread sizes are the same. I will reverse the hoses and see if I didn't destroy the pump.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
brown7373

Okay, the hose connections to the steering box cannot be reversed. The fittings are different sizes. Mine are connected correctly. I have rebuilt pumps several times before with no issues. This one was functioning fine, but I took the occasion to rebuild since it was removed from the old engine. Kit went in with no issues, then I spun the pulley per the instructions. But obviously, something isn't working. It dumps the fluid out the top, even with engine off and turning the steering wheel lock to lock. I think I may just buy a new pump.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Sheepdip

I may be 180 out... but I have always, and was always told, to get the front wheels off the ground to fill the system and purge the air on a power steering pump replacement.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
brown7373

Not sure if I damaged the pump when I tried to purge with wheels on the ground. In a second attempt, I jacked the front up and turned the steering wheel with engine off, and it again dumped most of the fluid up and out. So maybe I damaged the pump. I am getting a replacement pump.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
Not sure if I damaged the pump when I tried to purge with wheels on the ground. In a second attempt, I jacked the front up and turned the steering wheel with engine off, and it again dumped most of the fluid up and out. So maybe I damaged the pump. I am getting a replacement pump.
Here's a guideline:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under...r-steering.htm
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote