The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
retselgerg

I think i might give up hot rodding

welp guys i have been working my A"" off on my truck (5speed, all new brakes springs hoses calipers rotors etc etc, new shocks new rims n tires etc etc..........welp i got my truck painted and for some unkown reason it now has a small chip on tha fender not that big of a deal i mean i can redo the fender but it just seems like everything fights me so much harder then other ppl...........for instance my frind alex has a build 05 ss cobalt (low 11 sec car) he repainted it in his driveway in like 2hours and its spotless me my dad and my popaw worked our but off on this job....I use to consider myself a patriot to the old school but i think i might hang it up......just cant get things going for me ya kno....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
determined1

Re: I think i might give up hot rodding

look back man you said it yourself it's an 05. a car with less than 4 years on it.or a truck thats got history and 30 plus years on it...this might help you out. i own a 63 and recently the mrs and i went for a ride down the 101. after a long day of tooling on the truck. it was nearing sunset when we passed a couple of old timers sitting on a bench. as we passed they gave me a thumbs up. to know that i am doing my truck justice enough for someone that could have bought my truck 45 years ago, and for me to bring back a memory or two of when they were 24 was good enough for me. i sorry man but you've got my respect for working on your truck with your own two hands and driving the piss out of it. stick with it the frustration and headaches are what this game is all about.
determined1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Hang in there man!!! Your truck looks good!!! Your friends Cobalt is fast because it is all about the horsepower to weight ratio. It weighs next to nothing and its got a lot of horses for its size. How many times was your friend's Cobalt painted before he painted it again? I'm sure it's nice, it better be it's only 4 years old. Although it is an SS it still just seems to blend into the crowd all to readily.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Hey- if it was easy to have good looking old truck, they wouldn't be so cool. And you won't look like you're driving your sister's car, even if it is an 11 sec. Cobalt, which I doubt it's really that fast without dropping halfshafts!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
72chevyk10
I built it

i always say if you are gonna put the work into building it its gonna get driven. and if that means a scratch or ding so be it. i see no point in a "trailer queen" imo. if i go through the truoble of building it it WILL get driven. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like you have paint prep and chemistry confused with hot rodding or old vehicle vs new.Isn`t the 11 second Cobalt a hot rod?Couldn`t the paint chipping vs not have just as easily been reversed?There`s plenty of trucks on here that have paint that`s holding up.It`s not the vehicle,it`s the paint job.But,if your heart`s not in it and a modern car is comparable to a classic truck in your mind,go for it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

Jump in that truck and go for a L O N G R I D E !!! It always amazes me to see people turn their heads as I drive by in my old truck! I get the thumbs up from the older guys! My truck is rusty and dented and the black paint is coming off. This hot rod stuff is all about the IMAGE in your HEAD!!! This is supposed to be FUN! GO FOR A RIDE! Your truck is way nicer than mine! Anybody can buy a ride! YOU BUILT YOURS! BE PROUD OF IT!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
UltraBlue71

Talking Re: I think i might give up hot rodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim zag View Post
Jump in that truck and go for a L O N G R I D E !!! It always amazes me to see people turn their heads as I drive by in my old truck! I get the thumbs up from the older guys! My truck is rusty and dented and the black paint is coming off. This hot rod stuff is all about the IMAGE in your HEAD!!! This is supposed to be FUN! GO FOR A RIDE! Your truck is way nicer than mine! Anybody can buy a ride! YOU BUILT YOURS! BE PROUD OF IT!
I have read alot of this cat's posts and we must be kindred spirits, In a cobalt you are a face in the crowd, in a old chevy truck you are like a hot woman in a tight pair of jeans, everyone takes a glance, so to speak...
I love the way the hood shakes and vibrates on my old ride as you run 65-70 down the blacktop, the cackle of the duals as you let off her, you either get this thing or dont, brother, I have 71 C-20 that I have pumped every spare penny my family of 6 could afford into, for the past year and a half, guess which one goes into our 1 car garage every night? It sure as hell aint my 02 Tahoe or the wives 05 Sonata

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
cdowns

hot rods are vehicles made prior to WW2
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Elephanthead

Don't hate on the Cobalt SS, it one of the best bargains in the performance world, it also goes around corners fast, not all racing is a 1/4 mile straight line. I would buy a used one in a second if I could find one that wasn't beat to hell by the prior owner.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
big_al_71

I have heard too many people get frustrated with these old buckets. I have been there many times and I am at that point where I wont build anything else as there are other things more important to me for the moment. I live in an area where there are many people with some serious cars like porches, ferraris, corvettes, hummers, escalades I mean some nice cars but guess what? I am the ONLY one with a "hooked up C10" and that is where my satisfaction is, the fact of knowing that I built and own a serious C10 that some of these cars have nothing on mine, yeah they are worth more than my bucket but my bucket is "Unique" and you Won't see another around my area. I have never owned or will I own a "trailer Queen" the cars and trucks I owned I drive them, enjoy them as much as I can. I could be just like everyone else in my area and bought a depreciating german or american new car but I chosed to own an old bucket that in worse case scenario I will break even if I ever part with it. Do what you feel in your head that you want to do but remember anyone can go out and buy a new vehicle and add some bolt ons but at the end of the day you will own a generic vehicle that ANYONE can have...
Good luck!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I have heard too many people get frustrated with these old buckets. I have been there many times and I am at that point where I wont build anything else as there are other things more important to me for the moment. I live in an area where there are many people with some serious cars like porches, ferraris, corvettes, hummers, escalades I mean some nice cars but guess what? I am the ONLY one with a "hooked up C10" and that is where my satisfaction is, the fact of knowing that I built and own a serious C10 that some of these cars have nothing on mine, yeah they are worth more than my bucket but my bucket is "Unique" and you Won't see another around my area. I have never owned or will I own a "trailer Queen" the cars and trucks I owned I drive them, enjoy them as much as I can. I could be just like everyone else in my area and bought a depreciating german or american new car but I chosed to own an old bucket that in worse case scenario I will break even if I ever part with it. Do what you feel in your head that you want to do but remember anyone can go out and buy a new vehicle and add some bolt ons but at the end of the day you will own a generic vehicle that ANYONE can have...
Good luck!!!
Big aL sounds like your discribing the kinda place I live in, only swap the the Escalades for Range Rovers and Porche Ceyenne's. And I bloody love riding round here in my Chevy Truck....I'm the ONLY one (helps being in the UK of course)
retselgerg you may have hit the wall, but you will get past it, anyone can have a nice 05 lets see how well your mate would do with a 67 yours is the challenge his will never be, and his will NEVER be as cool. Speed is easily acheived let that be te next part of your project if it means a lot to ya.

+ He does'nt get to be a member of our club.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
retselgerg

I decided im taking tha truck out tonight for a long cruise (havnt drove it in over a year) I'm just gonna take it out and get the feeling for it again...guess i just get dishearted pretty easy. and alex's car really is a low 11 car i think his best time was a 11.3 and off topic the cobalt in general is a bargin in todays compact car market.....
Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
retselgerg

cdowns like your "1960 F100 hot rod project awaiting install of 429cobrajet"??? just playin with ya lol thats when hot rodding started (prior to ww2) but to me hotrods are not cars or trucks its a lifestyle....thats my outlook at least
Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If it was easy, everyone would be driving a nice old truck. Fact is, it's not. It's a constant struggle to overcome obstacles. It makes you stronger. It makes you more capable. It makes you feel pride in your accomplishments.

For me, it isn't about having a neat old truck. It's about having a neat old truck that I struggled to build and overcame the hardships.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

boy i hear ya lol they dang trucks fight ya the WHOLE WAY lol stick with it, thats wat im doin with my disc brake convo....i wish i woulda fixed drums and drove it some but hey im this far might as well keep chuggin along, and to make dad wrong..he said i cant do it

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
nvr_di

I agree stick with it man your truck looks great! and for me I know its cheesy but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Or - if it was easy everyone would do it. The sweet aint as sweet without the sour.
Any more cliche's I can throw at you?

Really though all that fighting and all those challenges you over came should add to the pride you have in your truck and the work you did. And to me it shows. Dont get me wrong I respect an 11second anything but my true love is more than just muscle.
The uphill battle sucks and is a frustrating hell sometimes but for me that's what I love about it. Maybe im just a glutton for punishment but it gives the project a soul for me. I had an aucra daily driver that I did 0 work to and there was no soul, no connection, I really didnt care about it to much accept for it getting me to work.
I think It takes a certain kind of person to see a project through to the end. Anyone can just bolt on parts thats easy. But taking it down to nothing and rebuilding or creating from the ground up thats hard but so much more rewarding.

ok im getting off my box now.. bottom line man reconnect and enjoy your truck and wear that pride on your sleeve you earned it!
nvr_di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
6772owner
Gearhead

I agree with everyone, sometimes I just want to beat the snot outta my truck with a sledge hammer, but you just step away for a bit and then go at it again. The hobby wouldnt be what it is if it was easy, hell we all know the blood, sweat and tears it takes. The Cobalt (or anything else thats only 5 years old) doesnt take much to do bolt-ons and go, the truck takes real dedication to tear apart, de-rust, and get back together. Hang in there buddy, we're behind ya...

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644

Last edited by 6772owner; 05-22-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: text
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

For me it's relaxation thing.I like working on my truck.I enjoy accomplishing something that most wont even attempt.I get frustrated just like everyone else, but I either step back and think it thru or step away for a while.When I overcome that obstacle the sense of accomplishment gives me a feeling of pride and that relaxes me.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Isn`t it funny how people who`s sole interest in vehicles is to own the current "one to have" and think they`re all that?They don`t even get it.I have people who can`t afford "the one to haves",drive newish common b.s. because it all they could afford,and think my place is a junkyard...call it West Virginia,always comment on how many vehicles I have.Yet,none are off the driveway and complete,tucked beyond the house into one corner towards my shop,they are obviously of the same type(a true sign it`s a hobby(not an accumilation of broke down junk),large parts stored inside sheds or tarped(again,tucked out of plain view),and everywhere else is landscaped extensively...like I don`t just dump oil and rut the place up.I tell them this isn`t suburbia,I`m not trying to be suburban,and I wish it was West Virginia.Others will pull up and never stop ranting about all the neat stuff and point out all the rarities I`ve gathered.It`s all what you like.I like people who are interested in neat old stuff(n.o.s.).If I wanted store-bought or cookie-cutter I`d have it,not spend my life wanting it.To me,that`s low-class.

Go take a ride.I garauntee you`ll feel different about your truck.It`s all about driving them,making them go,and even them not going.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
LEEVON

Don't get discouraged. I look at it this way; there are many challenges/rewards in life. Most of them are corporate (faith, family, work, etc..). By corporate I mean things that are done in societal groups with set standards and expectations. Hot rodding (or Hot trucking) whatever you call it presents a unique challenge/reward. In my case I really don't have any friends that I get to enjoy the hobby with, but my Father and I have some quality time in it. So really it is a solo hobby.

The real reward comes from challenging yourself and meeting those challenges. Nothing feels better than using the engineering portion of your brain to solve a problem, even better is breathing new life into an old machine. The compliments and thumbs up are just a bonus. Some people climb mountains, others gain knowledge or physical strength. We happen to have hot rodding. It's about the journey.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Skirkpat

Compacts suck, Going fast in one is not real bright either, and plenty of hot rods have been built with cars pre and post war, thats a silly comment hot rod is an attitude, not a model.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
big mike71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
Compacts suck, Going fast in one is not real bright either, and plenty of hot rods have been built with cars pre and post war, thats a silly comment hot rod is an attitude, not a model.
I can't even fit in a colbalt. Remember don't sweat the small stuff.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
I can't even fit in a colbalt. Remember don't sweat the small stuff.
you think you dont fit... im 6'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
Mondo

I can't get over the number of people that say they had one of these and wished they never sold it....

I'm afraid I'd fall into that category if I sold mine.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote