The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
NC_John

Talking Unbelievable Score!!!!

I was bored in my hotel room the other night and started surfing craigslist for truck parts. I came across an original GM grill said to be in great condition for $100! I texted the guy and asked him if he still had it (the ad was a few days old). He said he did but someone was buying it and coming to get it. I've been working out of state so kept going back and forth with the seller on the status every night. The other guy never showed and I swooped in and picked it up on my way home tonight. I was nervous it was going to be gone right up to me showing up at the seller's house- it was too good to be true. I thought it would be my luck that the other guy would finally decide to go get it right before I got there.

This thing is a factory grill and in 95% condition. I don't even have to paint it! Woo hoo! I was stressing about how much a decent grill was going to cost (scared I was going to have to get a $900 NOS). This guy got the grill from a guy who he was doing some work for. It was hidden up the rafters of a barn on the properly. The seller doesn't have a C-10 but figured he could probably get a few bucks for it and took it.

He's going back and he said he'd see if there were any more truck parts around. Man, I hope he finds some chrome bumpers!

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
med.bronze

Re: Unbelievable Score!!!!

Wow, that's way cool! I love stories like that
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 K-10 Custom Deluxe

1971 K-10 Custom
med.bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
slow-1

I keep telling my wife that constantly searching CL will pay off one day...nice score!
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Nice find there. So do you drive to your locations or fly or both. I travel for my job also but I mainly fly. I spend at least 45 minutes a day searching on craigslist and other local media for parts. I also go to all the local pick and pulls in the area searching for parts also.

We need to keep as much of these parts and trucks out of scrap as possible.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Nice find there. So do you drive to your locations or fly or both. I travel for my job also but I mainly fly. I spend at least 45 minutes a day searching on craigslist and other local media for parts. I also go to all the local pick and pulls in the area searching for parts also.

We need to keep as much of these parts and trucks out of scrap as possible.
I live in NC and do most of my work in VA so I drive. Leave Monday and come home Thursday or Friday. Its a good job but the travel gets old... I get absolutely sick of sleeping (or trying to sleep anyway) in hotel rooms.

I rarely fly (did fly to Boston for a full week up there last week). I hate flying. When I was in my early twenties I was going to coast to coast weekly and enjoyed it. The airlines have ruined it now to the point where its just a flying greyhound bus..... Yeah, if I had to fly everywhere, I'd go work somewhere else.

I've not checked any wrecking yards yet. There are so many of these trucks still rolling around down here I just figured all the good stuff has already been picked clean.... Maybe when it cools off I can start making Saturday trips to see what I can find.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I live in NC and do most of my work in VA so I drive. Leave Monday and come home Thursday or Friday. Its a good job but the travel gets old... I get absolutely sick of sleeping (or trying to sleep anyway) in hotel rooms.

I rarely fly (did fly to Boston for a full week up there last week). I hate flying. When I was in my early twenties I was going to coast to coast weekly and enjoyed it. The airlines have ruined it now to the point where its just a flying greyhound bus..... Yeah, if I had to fly everywhere, I'd go work somewhere else.

I've not checked any wrecking yards yet. There are so many of these trucks still rolling around down here I just figured all the good stuff has already been picked clean.... Maybe when it cools off I can start making Saturday trips to see what I can find.
I feel your pain sir. 196 nights in a Holiday Inn Express last year. You never know what you will find in a salvage yard. What some people pass right on by because they are not looking for it or don't know the value.

Safe travels
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Syndrome

Quote:
What some people pass right on by because they are not looking for it or don't know the value.
Its pretty bad, I found a 69 Chevy in excellent condition, even better than mine for $500 and was less than half an hour away. But it was before I knew anything about what was what and I didn't jump on it instantly. I could have made double the asking price on that truck very easily.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
NC_John

Quote:
I feel your pain sir. 196 nights in a Holiday Inn Express last year. You never know what you will find in a salvage yard. What some people pass right on by because they are not looking for it or don't know the value.

Safe travels
Yeah, we're in the same boat with the travel for sure.....

I'm planning on going to the Charlotte Motor Speedway Food Lion Auto Fair in a couple weeks... It'll be my first time grazing the swap meet and parts areas while actually looking for stuff (NOS stuff and deals if there are any). I'm going to the Good Guys show in Oct too but I think all their vendors are primarily new stuff. Fun to look at but minimal danger of spending a bunch of money.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
mgkgmc

Its crazy I found a Nos 69-70 grill too almost in the same way recently.
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkgmc View Post
Its crazy I found a Nos 69-70 grill too almost in the same way recently.
I just washed mine and got the 20-30 yrs of dirt and mud dauber nests off it. I found a little bit of damage on the right side (a scrape) but it is still an excellent driver. I need the grill insert before I put this on but those are inexpensive enough through the regular parts guys- a repop will probably work fine for that.

Now I need to score some bumpers.....

God bless the folks with the parts that don't know what they are worth to morons like us!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Way cool... the original 69-70 grilles are hard to come by in good shape.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

nice find

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
AMERICAN PICK-UP

Nice!!
AMERICAN PICK-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
mgkgmc

Here is the thread on the one I have. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562064 I also noticed your appears to be a early original NOS grill too. Its slightly different on the middle bar between the headlight and running light. So its should more desireable than mine because thats how the trucks grills came from the factory on the trucks.
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote