The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Dirt's72

Vent window help

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I have two vent windows that are broken right at where they swivel. They are bothe nice chrome soft rays. Is there any type of fix I could do on these?
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Vent window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I have two vent windows that are broken right at where they swivel. They are bothe nice chrome soft rays. Is there any type of fix I could do on these?
I think it depends on what is actually broken. If it's the chrome piece pictured below you can drill out the two mounting rivets and install a new/used one.
If it's the window frame piece you will have to ditch the whole window frame. Unless you have some real skills at tig welding, then you're still going to discolor or ruin the chrome around the rivet hole.

I just re gasketed mine. It wasn't too bad but it does take some time. One of my window frame rivet holes was broken too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Dirt's72

Re: Vent window help

Thanks Mike. Mine are broken at the base where shaft that has the spring wrapped around it meets the bottom of chrome.
Now how hard is it to change the glass over if I bought another nice chrome set that did not have soft ray tint?
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote