The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Johnnycrash

Chassis drawing??

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, and (ugh) not a truck owner.

I am a scale model builder, and am currently working on a bunch of '72 AMT kits. The chassis that comes with it is bad. So, I am going to make a new one. But, I can not find a diagramme of the chassis layout. I have some great photos, but I need something a little more technical with dims and such. Or at least a proper drawings. I'll need to make mods to fit the other not-quite-right aspects of the kit.

Can anyone help a guy out?? Thanks in advance.
Johnnycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Chassis drawing??

This is all I have.Hope it helps;

'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I don't know if these will help;

-Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Johnnycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
This is all I have.Hope it helps;
Hope this helps?? Man, that is PERFECT. Thank you so very much.

And it proves the slight outward bulging over the rear axle. In some photos it seemed straight, and in others it bulged.

More info is NEVER a bad thing. Thanks.

The only other thing I need to figure out is; where do I stretch the frame for SWB to LWB. I assume it would need the 12" stretch behind the cab mount point and before the up-kick in the fram for the rearend. Then another 6" added to the rear of the frame. But the numbers from the chart don't seem to add up right for me.

I am also doing a 27.25" (Ext Cab), and 43.5" (Crew Cab) versions. Those stretches are easy, between the stock cab mounts, since the cab is stretching. Although the Ext Cab factory version is on a LWB, and the box simply has that much removed from it. But I will do stretched chassis' so a short box, and a long box can be had. While the Crew Cab seemed to come with only long box from the factory.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

They don't all have the bulge. Compare "Q" to "R" Dims on the different models.Looks like the 1 tons don't have it (CA3....) Where "C" means 2wd,"A" means "any" ie.CS,CE,CM,3 = 1 ton.
Also the K (4wd) ones don't appear to have the bulge.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 12-24-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Johnnycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn
They don't all have the bulge. Compare "Q" to "R" Dims on the different models.Looks like the 1 tons don't have it (CA3....) Where "C" means 2wd,"A" means "any" ie.CS,CE,CM,3 = 1 ton.
Also the K (4wd) ones don't appear to have the bulge.
Well, that explains my confusion. What is most prevelent?? Bulge, or no bulge?? Or maybe, its year change thing?? 67-68 = no bulge, but 69-72 = bulge?? Or something like that?? The bulge is slight, so if I omitted it, it wouldn't be wrong, and it would be hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer71
see if this helps http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=123624
I know your goin the opposite direction but it still may help!
That's great. Sure, it's the wrong direction, but I'll read the thread backwards. And it confirms my theroy as to where to add/subtract. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

Also,to be totally correct there was the 3/4 ton model called the Longhorn that had a 1 ton (bulgeless) frame. I just went out and checked,no bulge. Mine is a GMC so isn't badged as a Longhorn but same animal.
Too much info yet?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
killer71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycrash View Post
Hope this helps?? Man, that is PERFECT. Thank you so very much.

And it proves the slight outward bulging over the rear axle. In some photos it seemed straight, and in others it bulged.

More info is NEVER a bad thing. Thanks.

The only other thing I need to figure out is; where do I stretch the frame for SWB to LWB. I assume it would need the 12" stretch behind the cab mount point and before the up-kick in the fram for the rearend. Then another 6" added to the rear of the frame. But the numbers from the chart don't seem to add up right for me.

I am also doing a 27.25" (Ext Cab), and 43.5" (Crew Cab) versions. Those stretches are easy, between the stock cab mounts, since the cab is stretching. Although the Ext Cab factory version is on a LWB, and the box simply has that much removed from it. But I will do stretched chassis' so a short box, and a long box can be had. While the Crew Cab seemed to come with only long box from the factory.
see if this helps http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=123624
I know your goin the opposite direction but it still may help!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Johnnycrash

Never too much info. The more I get, the more confu.., uh?? The more I understand. I think. Maybe. What was the question??

Oh, forgot about the Longhorn conversion I'm doing as well.

OK. I just read something that will explain the bulge. Leaf spring or Trailing arm, that's the difference. Training arm frames will have the bulge, and the leaf spring frames will not. And since the trailing arm set up was more than likely what people bought, it makes it more prevelent, 10-1 as you say. So, I gotta go with the bulge. But, with that drawing, I can easily build two styles. Since I want to do a JImmy/Blazer and Suburbans as well, I'll need to make a chassis for the leaf spring set up, or at least trailing arm with auxilary leaf. And since they are pretty much the same... Make one, copy, modify, build...

Last edited by Johnnycrash; 12-24-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Johnnycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
WorkinLonghorn

That makes sense,I was thinking the bulge would interfer with the dual rears,but I'm sure you are right because I believe the 4wd models got leafs.
This is all I can add for the Suburban;

Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have a question.What prompted you to build this style of truck and in so many of it/'s incarnations?OK 2 questions,are these for a design to build kits from or just a personal project?Well maybe 3,will you post back the completed projects so we can see and admire?
BTW I will probably come up with more questions.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 12-24-2007 at 12:36 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
Johnnycrash

Why this style?? Well, it's not just this style. This just happens to be the one style I needed extra help on. I have a plan. The plan is to do all the Chevy/GMC trucks from 1967 to present, in all incarnations (reg cab, ext cab, crew cab, short short box, short box, long box, fleet side, step side, wide side). I know that not all combos where factory made, but some of them look pretty good.

These will be kits that you will be able to buy and build for yourself. My full time day job is designing/manufacture model kits, mostly Sci-Fi. But I have many car/truck projects going on as well.

I have the following cabs/beds that I have planed or mostly done (there is always something more I need to do)

1967-1972
27.25" extended cab (3dr)
43.5" crew cab (factory version, not a cut down Suburban)
Crew cab (cut down Suburban style) - future project
short short box (fits on LWB chassis with ext cab)
short box
Longhorn box
And chassis to go with all of these (the reason for this thread )

1973-1980
24.5" extended cab - future project
crew cab - future project
long box
Longhorn box
And chassis to go with all of these

1981-1987
24.5" extended cab
crew cab - future project (1981-1991)
long box & chassis
Longhorn box
And chassis to go with all of these (same chassis as 1973-1980)

1988-1998
crew cab (1988-2001)
Suburban (1988-2001)
Blazer/Jimmy (really a Tahoe 2dr, but should have been called a Blazer/Jimmy)
Longhorn box

1999-2004
Reg cab
crew cab
Suburban
Blazer/Jimmy (K5 prototype, never went into production)
short short box
long box
Longhorn box

And yes, I will post back with WIP and finished projects. I'll snap a bunch in the next day or so and put them up. I guess I should post that stuff over in the Die-Cast.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Hart_Rod

I've got a 4 Door Crew and a Suburban with the truck rear tail lights and body lines. Would love to see both of these in model form. Check out the links.

R
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote